Five Favorites Indoor Fun in Kansas City
By Kristina Light
If the weather is keeping you inside, that doesn't mean the fun has to stop! Check our Top Picks for Indoor Fun in Kansas City.
Spend the Day at an Indoor Amusement Park
- Ride a Roller Coaster. Zonkers Indoor Amusement Park at the Great Mall (913.393.3535) is a delightful indoor amusement park for young children. Kids love the snake roller coaster, carousel, train, kiddie rides, arcades, and batting cages (for all ages).
- Race Go Karts. There are several great places to ride Go Karts in Kansas City, but our top pick for racing enthusiasts is Sadler's Indoor Racing with European inspired go-kart tracks. The high performance go-karts are imported from Germany and reach speeds up to 45mph. See KC Going Places to discover additional venues for go-kart racing.
- Jump, Bounce, and Play! Paradise Park's Go-Karts, Foam Factory, and Children's EduTainment Center are fun for the whole family. Jumping Jax and Monkey Bizness both occasionally offer late night open play (watch their calendars for schedules and deals). Be a kid for a day and simply PLAY!
- Play the Arcades. Children love Chuck E. Cheese, teens and adults are partial to Dave & Busters, the whole family will find fun at Paradise Park, Power Play, Cool Crest or Incred-a-Bowl. Read our complete list to find an Indoor Kansas City Fun Center near you.
Enjoy a Show!
- Go to a movie...cheap. The Noland Fashion Square Cinema shows movies for $2/ticket. (40 Hwy and Noland. 816.478.2223).
- Enjoy live Children's Theater. The Coterie Theatre (in Crown Center) offers a FREE Ticket with purchase on Saturdays (deal sponsored by Target), with affordable children's shows all the time! Theatre for Young America (with shows at Union Station) performs live theater for children all year-round. CYT offers shows by kids for kids... their first show is usually discounted, but all shows are affordable. (See our guide to Kansas City Theaters for more ideas.)
- Laugh out loud! Comedy City is great fun for older kids especially! Enjoy a live family-friendly Improv Comedy Show that is appropriate for youth as well (we love the fact that no foul language is allowed). Tickets are only $12/ea and they offer B1G1 Coupons in the Entertainment Book and via their emails. Recommended for children who are old enough to enjoy watching a family sitcom.
- Old-fashioned slapstick and melodrama. The Martin City Melodrama (now located in Metcalf South Mall) offers vaudeville style melodramas for the entire family. Expect a light-hearted, casual, night of fun theater at this one-of-a-kind show. Boo and hiss at villains, cheer for heroes and heroines, and laugh out loud at America's original variety show. Martin City Jr. features shows designed especially for young children, and the Main Stage shows are appropriate for the entire family.
- Enjoy a nighttime sky (during the day) or a BIG screen! Take in a show at Science City's Planetarium or Extreme Screen. You'll enjoy additional discounts with a Science City Membership.
- Make memories with a bit of music. The Kansas City Symphony isn't just for adults! The Family Series is specially designed for children to enjoy familiar (and unfamiliar but wonderful) music with live performances with kids in mind.
Go on a Scavenger Hunt
- An Art Gallery Scavenger Hunt. The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is FREE and open till 9pm on Thursday and Friday. Try our exclusive KCParent.com Nelson-Atkins Scavenger Hunt and reward your child with a Skyscraper at Winstead's upon completion.
- A Nature Center Scavenger Hunt. Lakeside Nature Center is one of our favorite nature centers in Kansas City. They provide a wonderful free scavenger hunt (ask at the information desk) and you'll enjoy seeing live animals up close! (Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 9 AM to 4 PM. Sunday, 11Am to 3 PM. Closed Monday)
- Mall Scavenger Hunt. See this great guide to learn How to host a Mall Scavenger Hunt.
Go Swimming.... Inside!
- Best Bang for Your Buck: Many local community centers offer terrific indoor pools with additional amenities. Our 3 Favorites for inexpensive but fun-filled options are: Matt Ross Community Center (pictured) in Overland Park (913.895.6350) with a lap pool, zero-depth entry pool, spray toys, an 18-ft tall water slide for swimmers, water bucket drop and a lazy river with admission at $7/ea per day (memberships available). Legacy Park Community Center in Lee's Summit (816.969.1550) features a 141' long figure-eight water slide, spray features, large play area, and a zero-depth beach entrance, four 20-yard lap lanes, current channel and hot tub at $6-8/ea (price varies with residency and age), memberships available. The View Community Center in Grandview (816.316.4888) features a lap pool, zero depth recreation pool, lazy river, coconut tree, umbrella, and spray features and a 22 ft. high slide for $4.50-9.25/day (depends on age and residency), memberships available. Find a pool near you with our complete list of Indoor Pools in KC.
- Super Splurges! Consider an overnight staycation at one of Kansas City's Water Resorts: Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City, KS, (866.640.6353) is an indoor water resort with a four-story interactive treehouse water fort, winding lazy river, numerous slides including the Triple Twist, a high speed, five-story drop into a huge funnel followed by twists and turns, all housed in a luxurious hotel! CoCo Key Water Resort in Kansas City, MO, (816.737.0200) offers a wonderful 55,000 square foot indoor water park with a wading pool, slides, fast tube rides, activity pools and more! Play for a day or stay overnight at the Holiday Inn (where CoCo Key is located).
Explore your Artistic Side!
- Paint Your Own Pottery. See KCGoingPlaces.com for Paint Your Own Pottery listings. Sign up for emails and check calendars at locations for discounts.
- Create a Masterpiece... for FREE!.Explore Hands-On art at Kaleidoscope where children can create their own projects with special materials from Hallmark and Crayola. They love the glow-in-the-dark room, melted wax, watercolor paint dryer, and jigsaw puzzle maker. Best of all, it is FREE! Kaleidoscope (2500 Grand, KCMO. Call for hours 816.274.8300). To read our review, click here.