FREE (and Cheap) Summer Movies in KC
This summer, enjoy a Free (or Cheap) Movie at one of several area locations!
Note: Parents are advised to review movies before attending. Not all movies are appropriate for all ages. Also, this list was compiled by the staff of KC Parent Magazine and may not be reproduced in print or online without permission. Please email email@example.com if you have an addition to this list.
Host your Own Outdoor Summer Movie
Plan a movie in your own backyard! Movies2U is Kansas City’s premier provider and facilitator of outdoor and indoor cinema events. From beginning to end, they deliver a 5-star experience that creates lasting memories. Movies2U will deliver crystal clear projection and superior quality audio on industry leader Epic Outdoor Cinema’s cutting edge inflatable screens. Visit http://movies2u.com/ for info.
FREE (and Cheap) Summer Movies in Kansas City 2019
Note: Schedules are subject to change with inclement weather.
Weekender at Crown Center at Crown Center Square, 2450 Grand, Kansas City, MO. Cap off your work week with top local bands and favorite food trucks. Finish the evening with a famous flick under the stars. Festivities begin at 6 p.m., with the movie starting at approximately 9 p.m. FREE admission. (Please note pets are not permitted at the event.) 816-274-8444.
- July 12: G.I. Joe: Retaliation Music: County Road 5
- July 19: Legally Blonde Music: Brandon Estelle
- July 26: Hoosiers Music: Rusty Laffoon Band
- August 2: The Wizard of Oz Music: The Zeros
- August 9: Tomb Raider (2018) Music: The Magnetics
Oak Park Mall Summer Movie Night at Oak Park Mall Center Court, 11149 West 95th Street, Overland Park, KS. Enjoy FREE movies on the second Friday of June, July, and August. Activities start at 6 pm and the movies start at 7 pm in Center Court by Dillard’ South. Bring your lawn chairs or bring your blankets for this indoor, air-conditioned event! This is a great place to bring your kids to watch their favorite movies on the big screen! Movies start at 7:00 pm sharp. Arrive early to reserve your spot!
- June 14: The Incredibles 2.
- July 12: Ralph Breaks the Internet.
- August 9: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World.
Moo-vie Night at Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, 13800 Switzer Rd., Overland Park, KS. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and join us for our first Moo-vie Night of the season at the Farmstead. In June, we celebrate National Dairy Month with dairy treats and activities. Gates open at 7:30 p.m. Moo-vie begins at dusk.
- June 20: Tangled
- July 18: TBD
Free Movies at Summit Fair at Summit Fair, 840 NW Blue Pkwy, Lee's Summit, MO. Balloon art, face painting, bubbles, giveaways & MORE! Activities begin at 8 pm, a showing of Moana begins at 9 pm
- July 12: Moana
Dive-In Movies at Oceans of Fun Put a new summer twist on family movie night! Watch a favorite flick while relaxing in Coconut Cove at Oceans of Fun this summer. Exclusively for Gold, Platinum, and Pre-K Season Passholders, Oceans of Fun’s Dive-in Movie series features a great selection of kid-friendly movies on a giant, outdoor screen after-hours. Join us the last Friday in May and select Fridays in June for fun flicks for the whole family. Movies start at sundown each night (approximately 8:30 pm). Capacity is limited and on a first-come-first-serve basis, so get there early to make sure you can enjoy the movie!
- May 31: Incredibles 2
- June 7: Spider-man Into the Spider-Verse
- June 21: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- June 28: Hotel Transylvania 3
Cinemark Theatres Summer Movie Clubhouse: Cinemark Merriam 5500 Antioch, Merriam, KS. Shows run Mon-Thursday at 10 am and Noon. Purchase 10 Movies Passes for $5.00, or tickets can be purchased separately at the box office for $1.00 per show. Admission with a series punch card is limited to one person per card per movie and valid only at the theatre where purchased. All films that have been selected are rated either G or PG. For more information, visit Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse.
B & B Theaters Summer Kids Series: Many area locations. Films show Tues-Thurs at 10 am, $3/ticket or $2 for those with Backstage Pass. www.bbtheatres.com This summer's features include Secret Life of Pets, Despicable Me 2, Sing, The Grinch, The Lorax, Trolls, How to Train Your Dragon: Hidden World, and Shrek.
Alamo Kids Camp: Alamo Drafthouse Main Street Cinema 1400 Main St., KC, MO. Alamo Drafthouse Kids Camp is an affordable way for families to watch great films together all summer. Choose your own ticket price - $1-$3 - $5 and buy your tickets online to reserve your seats in advance. 100% of ticket sales are donated to local nonprofits working to make our community a better place. For more information visit Alamo Kids Camp.
AMC Summer Movie Camp Get admission to a kid-friendly movie and a KidsPack for just $4+tax, every Wednesday at 10 am all summer long! Tickets available soon at the box office only. Note: There are Missouri and Kansas locations, but none in the immediate Kansas City area. Warrensburg, MO is the closest participating theater.
Movies In The Park: Lenexa Pack your lawn chairs and blankets and bring your family to enjoy an evening under the stars at one of our Movie in the Park events. Lenexa is partnering with Johnson County Library for these events. Free admission to all movies.
- May 24: Flight of the Navigator (Rated PG) at Electric Park, Loiret Boulevard and 95th Street, Lenexa, KS.
- June 14: Space Jam (Rated PG) at The Commons, Lenexa civic campus, 17101 W. 87th St. Pkwy., Lenexa, KS.
- July 19: Apollo 13 (Rated PG). The United States' Apollo 11 was the first manned mission to land on the moon on July 20, 1969. This year marks the 50th anniversary! at Buffalo Meadows Park, 9650 Lone Elm Rd., Lenexa, KS.
- Aug. 16: WALL-E (Rated G) at Electric Park, Loiret Boulevard and 95th Street, Lenexa, KS.
- Sept. 20: Bedtime Stories (Rated PG) at The Commons, Lenexa civic campus, 17101 W. 87th St. Pkwy., Lenexa, KS.
Popcorn in the Park: at Liberty Community Center, 1600 S Withers Rd, Liberty, MO. Liberty Parks & Rec will provide popcorn and water to the first 500 people. Moviegoers are encouraged to make an evening of it and bring a picnic, lawn chairs, and blankets. Please remember, alcohol is not allowed in Liberty’s parks.
- May 31: Incredibles 2
- Aug. 9: TBD
- Oct. 4: TBD
Family Movies at Olathe Library. Join us for family movies! All seating is on the floor, so we suggest bringing a blanket or pillow. Kindergartners and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets will be handed out starting 15 minutes before the movie begins at 2 pm. Showing at 2 pm on Mondays at the Olathe Downtown Library and showing at 2 pm on Wednesdays at the Indian Creek Library.
- June 3 & June 5: Ralph Breaks the Internet (PG, 111 mins.)
- June 10 & June 12: The Cat From Outer Space (G, 104 mins.)
- June 17 & June 19: Smallfoot (PG, 96 mins.)
- June 24 & June 26: Spark: A Space Tail (PG, 91 mins.)
- July 1 & July 3: WALL-E (G, 98 mins.)
- July 8 & July 10: The House with a Clock in Its Walls (PG, 105 mins.)
- July 15 & July 17: Space Chimps (G, 81 mins.)
- July 22 & July 24: Home (PG, 94 mins.)
- July 29 & July 31: Fly Me to the Moon (G, 84 mins)
- Aug. 5: Mary Poppins Returns (PG, 130 mins.)
Off-the-Wall Summer Movies at Kansas City Public Library Central Branch, 14 West 10th St., Kansas City, MO. From far-flung galaxies to the skyscrapers of New York City, this year’s FREE Library rooftop summer film series goes out of this world with interstellar and interdimensional adventures. The constellation of memorable characters includes aliens with colossal craniums, spaced-out actors, dark-helmeted villains, and a web-slinging spider squad. Doors open at 8 p.m. Screenings: 8:45 p.m.
- May 17: Spaceballs (1987, PG, 1h 36 min) JUNE 21: Coneheads (1993, PG, 1h 28 min)
- July 19: Galaxy Quest (1999, PG, 1h 42 min)
- Aug. 16: Mars Attacks (1996, PG-13, 1h 50 min)
- Sept. 20: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, PG, 1h 57 min)
Movie in the Park: Greenwood at Hitt Park, 907 Allendale Lake Road, Greenwood, MO. Bring the whole family, some blankets/chairs and bug spray to enjoy a relevant family flick. Many families can be seen arriving early enjoying a pizza from Casey’ or playing on the playground while waiting for dusk to settle. Concessions and restrooms will also be available. Movies are Shown on the first Saturday June-August, with a Special Screening in September for 2019.
- June 1: Mary Poppins Returns
- July 6: Lego Movie 2
- Aug. 3: Incredibles 2
- Sept 7: Wizard of Oz
Saturday Night Movies at Charles A. Garney Park and Trails, 4100 N Mulberry Dr, Kansas City, MO. Briarcliff Trails of Our Community proudly presents free outdoor movies for the whole family to enjoy! Movies are shown on Saturday nights during the summer at approx. 8:45 p.m./dusk. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs, and snacks while we do the rest!
- June 1: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- June 8: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- June 15: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- July 13: The Incredibles 2
- July 20: Coco
Hyde Park Film Festival at Hyde Park, 36th & Gillham Road, Kansas City MO. Come on out to Hyde Park at 36th and Gillham Road for the first four Fridays in June to enjoy live music, kids' activities, and a family-friendly feature film. The fun starts at 7:00 pm and the movie starts at dusk. Bring a blanket and a picnic! Everything is FREE!
- June 7: Into the Spider-Verse
- June 14: LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
- June 21: The Karate Kid (1984)
- June 28: Aquaman
Moonlight Movies at Pharaoh Cinema, 114 W Maple Ave, Independence, MO. Moonlight Movies are shown every Thursday at 9 pm throughout the summer. The movies are projected onto the side of the Pharaoh Theater on the Independence Square. Bring the whole family every week for a fun FREE event! The concession stand is available on site for your favorite movie snack groups. We feature pizza slices from Square Pizza and popcorn comes from the Pharaoh Theater.
Movies in the Park: Blue Springs at Rotary Park, 600 NW Vesper St, Blue Springs. 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm. Blue Springs Parks and Recreation is excited to announce the 2019 Movie series! In June, grab a blanket, a lawn chair, family, and friends, and head to Rotary Park to enjoy a free outdoor movie and popcorn under the stars. In August, grab your swimsuit and take advantage of the new splash pad before the movie starts. Movies are family friendly. Movies begin at dusk and are shown on a huge inflatable screen with a state-of-the-art projection and sound system
- June 14: Ralph Breaks the Internet: 7:30 pm- Activities. Movie at Dusk. Rotary Park. Video game villain Wreck-It-Ralph must brave the Internet to help Vanellope fix her game, Sugar Rush.
- Aug. 2: SPLASH AND SHOW: Hotel Transylvania 3 7:30 pm- Activities. Movie at dusk. Burrus Old Mill Park. The monster family embarks on a vacation on a luxury monster cruise ship so Drac can take a summer vacation from providing everyone else’ vacation at the hotel, and they indulge in all of the shipboard fun the cruise has to offer. Join us for some fun at the Splash Pad before the movie starts!
Movie in the Park at T.B. Hanna Station, 214 S Washington St, Raymore. 8:45 pm to 11:00 pm. Join us for a free showing of Mary Poppins Returns at dusk on Friday, June 21! Bring a chair or a blanket and settle in with the family for this Move in the Park event sponsored by Community Bank of Raymore.
- June 21: Mary Poppins Returns
Movie in the Park: North KC at Macken Park-Festival Shelter, 1002 Clark Ferguson Drive, North Kansas City, MO. Join us for Ralph Breaks the Internet under the stars at Macken Park at 8:45 pm. Concessions available for purchase.
- June 28: Ralph Breaks the Internet
- Aug. 10: The House With The Clock In the Walls
Movie in the Park at Grandview Amphitheater, 13501 Byars Road, Grandview, MO. Doors open at 8 pm, and the movie will start at dusk! No outside food or drink is allowed within the Amphitheater. Concessions will be available. Movies in the Park is sponsored by Holy Trinity Lutheran Church - Grandview, MO. and Faces You Love Photography!
- June 28: The Greatest Showman
- July 26: Spiderman: Into The Spider-Verse
- Aug. 23: Green Book
Downtown Lee's Summit Movie Night at Downtown Lee's Summit, Lee's Summit. Join us for our third season of Downtown Movie Nights! This season’s dates are listed below. Movie titles will be released in early summer.
- August 8 at 8:30 pm
- September 12 at 8 pm
- October 10 at 7 pm
Drive-In Theaters in the Kansas City Area
What could be more fun than a Summer Movie and a box of popcorn? Watching under the stars of course! Trade in stadium seating for a bit of novelty this summer and take in a movie under the open sky. This summer, enjoy the nearly extinct novelty of the Drive-In Theater!
- Boulevard Drive-In Theatre: 1051 Merriam Lane, Kansas City, KS. 913.262.0392
- Twin Drive-In Theatres: 1320 North 291Mo.Hwy & 291 E. Kentucky Rd. Independence, MO. 816.257.2234
Do you know of more great summer movies to add to our list? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.