Best of May in Kansas City
(page 1 of 4)
May in Kansas City! Strawberries are begging to be picked. Roller coasters are ready to ride! Shows are setting the stage for a summer of fun! And Festival season is in full swing. Our Top Picks for May are here:
Beat Bugs: A Musical Adventure The Coterie
Beat Bugs: A Musical Adventure Apr. 16-May 19: Inspired by music made famous by The Beatles, Beat Bugs: A Musical Adventure hits the stage. Meet the Beat Bugs – five insect pals who explore the world and pick up life lessons along the way in this new musical, based on the Netflix animated series that incorporates songs of that famous band. Walter, Buzz, Jay, Crick, and Kumi embark on a mission to save Strawberry Fields from being taken over by a stink bug with other plans for it. Some of the songs from the iconic catalogue that appear in the show include “All You Need Is Love,” “Come Together,” “Yellow Submarine,” “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds,” “Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Eleanor Rigby,” and “With A Little Help From My Friends.” Read our review of Beat Bugs.
The Culture House presents The Wizard of Oz
The Culture House is presenting The Wizard of Oz May 3-4. This beloved tale, in which a Kansas farm girl travels over the rainbow to discover the magical power of home, has been entertaining audiences for generations. This version, a faithful adpatation of the MGM classic film, includes all of your favorite song songs “Over The Rainbow,” “Munchkinland (Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead),” “If I Only Had A Brain/A Heart/The Nerve,” “We’re Off To See The Wizard (Follow The Yellow Brick Road),” “The Jitterbug,” and “The Merry Old Land of Oz.” This RSC version also includes “Poppies (Optimistic Voices)” and “If I Were King Of The Forest.”
Journey to Oz at Crown Center
Journey to Oz: A FREE Exhibit at Crown Center thru May 12, 2019: One of the world’s beloved movies turns 80 this year, and Crown Center is celebrating by bringing the magic of the big screen to you! Families can tour the enchanting world of the Munchkins, follow Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion, sneak into the Wicked Witch’s castle and much more. Open Monday – Friday, 10am to 6pm; Saturday, 10am – 7pm; Sunday, 11am to 6pm.
Kansas City Zoo
The Kansas City Zoo is open year-round (except Jan. 1). (6800 Zoo Dr., KCMO. 816.513.5800). Pack a picnic and bring it to the zoo!
May's Special Events at the Kansas City Zoo:
- May 4-5: Cinco de Rhino - There are less than 6,000 Eastern Black Rhinoceroses in the world, and the Kansas City Zoo is lucky enough to have four. Come appreciate and learn about these enigmatic giants with crafts, activities, biofacts and a rhino themed trivia game for everyone. Guests will receive special Rhino trading cards. Activities will be in the Lobby from 10 am to 3 pm.)
- May 4-5 & 18-19: Cheetah Enrichment - On the first and third weekends of the month, head to the cheetah exhibit and see our boys engage with some very special enrichment. Enrichment includes anything out of the normal routine for these cats. It will “enrich” their senses and stimulate their natural instincts.
- May 12: Mother's Day at the Zoo - What better way to celebrate Mom than with a relaxing day at the Kansas City Zoo? Moms will receive complimentary admission and a complimentary beverage on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 12. Visit the Zoo’s doting moms and see them interact with their adorable babies. Bring Mom to the Zoo for a wild time with her cubs!
- May 18: Girl Scout Day - Enjoy Girl Scout Day at the Zoo this summer! Girl Scouts in their uniforms will receive FREE admission and those accompanying them will receive a reduced admission of $7. Girls Scouts can participate in activity stations in the lobby from 10 am to 3 pm and the first 100 Girl Scouts will receive a special patch.
- May 18-19 Endangered Species Weekend - Learn about our conservation initiatives and how you can get involved. With 21% of the world’s mammal species being threatened with extinction, conservation is everyone’s job. Begin by picking up your “Endangered Species Passport”. Use your passport to discover the different endangered species at the zoo. Find our docents at different endangered species exhibits using your passport to learn all about these animals. As a thank you for helping them, the first 200 kids will get a small magnet painted by one of our endangered species when they visit at least 3 areas on the passport. Stations will be open 10 am to 3 pm.
- May 25-26 Humboldt Penguin March - Join us on the fourth weekend of each month as our birds parade around the Helzberg Penguin Plaza, enjoying the fresh outdoor air. Get an up-close encounter with Humboldt penguins as they strut their stuff for all Zoo guests to see.
NASCAR Races at Kansas Speedway
Race weekend at Kansas Speedway is May 10 & 11. Kansas Speedway is gearing up for another exciting season! If you've never been to a NASCAR race, this year is the perfect opportunity. NASCAR is a family-friendly sport where adrenaline junkies love to cheer for their favorite drivers. Kansas Speedway offers many experiences adding to the entertainment for families, whether you purchase a pit pass or scanners to track cars throughout the race. Spring 2019 races - May 10: NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Kansas 250 and May 11: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Read our tips for a first-time visit to Kansas Speedway.