Best of March in Kansas City
March is a month full of family fun and celebrations with St. Patrick's Day, the welcoming of Spring and wonderful family-friendly productions, amazing exhibits, and family fun!
CYT's The Little Mermaid
CYT Kansas City presents The Little Mermaid Feb. 28 - Mar. 3: Based on one of Hans Christian Andersen's most beloved stories and the classic animated film, Disney's The Little Mermaid is a hauntingly beautiful love story for the ages. With music by eight-time Academy Award winner, Alan Menken, lyrics by Howard Ashman and Glenn Slater and a compelling book by Doug Wright, this fishy fable will capture your heart with its irresistible songs, including "Under the Sea," "Kiss the Girl" and "Part of Your World."
Mr. Popper's Penguins The Coterie
Mr. Popper's Penguins Feb. 26 - Mar. 31: In this charming musical adaptation of the beloved book, Mr. and Mrs. Popper’s lives take an adventurous turn when a mysterious box arrives on their doorstep with a penguin inside. Not long after, the local aquarium sends over a female penguin and soon the Poppers are hearing the patter of 20 little feet. What starts for Mr. Popper as a giant bill for canned shrimp leads to an imaginative journey across America – one that ends in the Antarctic to place the penguin colony in a “life they were meant to lead.” Read our review of Mr. Popper's Penguins.
KC Spring Break Guide
Our Kansas City Spring Break Guide is your go-to guide for camps and activities while school's out this March! Or, plan your Dream Weekend Getaway with our great Spring Break getaways guide!
St. Patrick's Day in Kansas City
Celebrate Kansas City’s rich Irish Heritage at a local St. Patrick’s Day Parade or special event! We have your Complete Guide to St. Patrick’s Day fun in Kansas City!
Planet Comicon Kansas City
Planet Comicon Kansas City March 29-31. Planet Comicon Kansas City is the region's largest and longest-running pop culture and comic book convention, officially celebrating 20 years of existence in 2019! The first Planet Comicon KC was held in 1999 in Overland Park, KS and has grown into a three-day extravaganza attended by tens of thousands of fans from across the country. Planet Comicon KC features the best in comic books, as well as fantasy, sci fi and superhero television and film. It is held in vibrant downtown Kansas City, near the Power & Light District. Much more information will become available as the show approaches to assist in attending and enjoying all of the wide variety of activities and guests Planet Comicon Kansas City has to offer. KC Parent is giving away 20 Tickets to Planet Comicon Kansas City and a Grand Prize! Enter today!
Big Fun at T/m
The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures (5235 Oak St. KC, MO) is one of our favorite local attractions. This month they are hosting several great events for the entire family:
- March 9 - Barbie's Big 60th Birthday Bash: On March 9, 1959, Barbie debuted at the American International Toy Fair in New York. Sixty years later, she remains one of the most popular toys of all time. Celebrate Barbie’s 60th birthday in style at T/m! Visit from 10am-4pm to snap a keepsake Barbie photo and create a special Barbie shoe charm bracelet to take home. Bring your own Barbie doll and dress up for our Barbie fashion parade at 2pm! Join kids and kids at heart for a fun-filled parade through the museum. Relive old memories and create new ones at Barbie’s Birthday Bash. Museum admission includes all activities. Members receive free admission.
- March 11-24 - Spring Break Marble Lessons: March is for marbles at T/m! This spring break, discover the game of marbles with your entire family. “Knuckle down” in a marble ring, shoot real marbles, and learn fun facts and marble lingo. Once you’ve become a “mibster,” aka a marble player, sign up for the Kansas City Marble Tournament on March 30. The ten-minute marble lessons will occur daily at 10:30am and 1:30pm from March 11-24, and the marble rings will be open for practice from 10:45-noon and 1:45-3pm. The museum is closed on Tuesdays. Included with museum admission. Free for members.
- March 30 - KC Marble Tournament: Experience the thrill of marble competition! Contestants ages 7-14 will play at least two games of marbles in the tournament and take home special prizes. Each “mibster” (marble player) must submit an entry form by email, mail, or at the museum’s information desk. Space is limited to 32 mibsters. Online registration will open February 18, and on-site registration will be available at the museum starting March 1. Each player must submit an entry form and liability waiver.
The Little Mermaid Dance & Tea Party
Miller-Marley Youth Ballet's Spring production is The Little Mermaid. Celebrate this classic fairytale with these special events in Johnson County.
- March 23, The Little Mermaid Afternoon Tea Party Camp. Craft, story time, dance routine and meet Ariel and Prince Eric! Ages 3-6. Pre-reg at 913.492.0004.
- March 30, The Little Mermaid plus additional age appropriate ballets 2 & 7 pm at Olathe South Performing Arts Center.
Journey to Oz at Crown Center
Journey to Oz: A FREE Exhibit at Crown Center thru May 12, 2019: One of the world’s beloved movies turns 80 this year, and Crown Center is celebrating by bringing the magic of the big screen to you! Families can tour the enchanting world of the Munchkins, follow Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion, sneak into the Wicked Witch’s castle and much more. Open Monday – Friday, 10am to 6pm; Saturday, 10am – 7pm; Sunday, 11am to 6pm.
THE LEGO® MOVIE™ 2 Movie Days
LEGO Movie Days thru March 31 at LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Kansas City. Experience the ultimate celebration of the new THE LEGO® MOVIE™ 2! Join Emmet, Wyldstyle and the gang during event weekends with exclusive building activities, out-of-this-world character experiences, interactive photo opportunities and more! Event Activities include: “The LEGO MOVIE” Mystery Mosaic - Guests work together to help build a mystery LEGO mosaic throughout the weekend. What will it look like? No one knows until it’s complete! After all, it’s all about teamwork! Character Meet and Greets - Want a family picture with one of The LEGO MOVIE stars? Meet Emmet, Wyldstyle and maybe, just maybe, a new character to be discovered from the film during character meet and greets! “The LEGO MOVIE” Scavenger Hunt - Help Emmet find his friends in Miniland! Wyldstyle, MetalBeard, Unikitty and Benny have lost their way and need you to save the day! Stopmotion Studio - Lights, camera, action! Take a seat in the director's chair, and recreate scenes or build your own in the all-new Stopmotion Studio!
Spring at Family Tree Nursery
Family Tree Nursery is hosting a variety of great spring events for the entire family. Locations: OPKS - 8424 Farley St., OPKS SHAWNEE - 7036 Nieman Rd., Shawnee, KS, LIBERTY - 830 W. Liberty Dr., Liberty, MO.
- March 15 from 9am-8pm: LADIES' DAY - Our most popular event of the year! Shop at any of our 3 locations and receive 20% OFF your entire purchase of regularly priced items. Music, wine, and appetizers will be available from 3:30 -7pm.
- March 16 & 17: SPRING OPEN HOUSE - Join us for our one of a kind “Flower Power” themed Open House on March 16th & 17th at our Overland Park store. Enjoy display gardens, local vendors, food trucks, and in-store specials. Kids can enjoy a petting zoo, face painting, pot-a-pansy and other activities for FREE.
- March 16 & 17: SPRING WORKSHOPS - Make a beautiful Spring Container, Succulent Garden, Fairy Garden or let your kids make a Flower Power Container just in time for spring. Hosted at all 3 locations and no registration is required.
Felted Forms: Masking the Forest
Felted Forms: Masking the Forest hru Mar. 31 at Overland Park Arboretum. This year, the Arboretum will again use color and form to enhance the grey winter scenery along the same route. Take a stroll along the path and discover these felted forms for yourself. Felt making is a very ancient craft that dates back to the beginnings of civilization. Wool fibers are felted using moisture, friction and heat. As the wool shrinks, the fibers interlock and mat together. Our goals are to take this simple, natural process and produce art forms of all types as well as introduce this amazing material to a wider audience through exhibitions in galleries and alternative spaces. Growing out of a study group from members of the Kansas City Weavers Guild, The Feltmakers Federation of Kansas City has grown to include a range of people interested in developing art forms using this oldest of textiles. No pre-registration necessary, included with admission.
Carlsen Center's March Shows
Enjoy live shows all season at JCCC Performing Arts Center (12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS). January's shows offer great shows for parents and educational shows for families.
March Shows at Carlsen Center:
- March 2: Youth Symphony of Kansas City
- March 3: Youth Symphony of Kansas City Winter Concert
- March 8: Carlsen Center Presents Niyaz 'The Fourth Light Project'
- March 10: Sir James Galway, flute
- March 17: Cubanisms
- March 22: Fiesta Asere with Havana Cuba All-Stars
- March 23: George Hinchliffe's UKULELE ORCHESTRA OF GREAT BRITAIN
- March 26: The Rainbow Fish
- March 29: Skerryvore: The EVO Tour
Visit the Kansas City Zoo
The Kansas City Zoo is open year-round (except Jan. 1). (6800 Zoo Dr., KCMO. 816.513.5800 www.KansasCityZoo.org). Pack a picnic and bring it to the zoo! The Polar Bear Passage and the indoor Helzberg Penguin Plaza are our favorite attractions at the zoo, and both are indoor. With spring weather, we love exploring the Tiger Trail, Australia, Africa, and outdoor exhibits. Weather permitting enjoy a ride on the carousel or train for more fun.
Bonus: Visit the Zoo's Calendar to learn about Polar Bear and Penguin Overnights when visitors are invited to spend the night at the zoo and other special events year round!
March's Special Events at the Kansas City Zoo:
- March 2: World Wildlife Weekend
- March 16-17: St. Patrick's Day at the Zoo
- March 19: Conservation Lecture Series
- March 23-24: Royals Day at the Zoo
- March 23-24: Humboldt Penguin March