Tips for Race Day at Kansas Speedway with Kids
Kansas Speedway is gearing up for another exciting season! If you've never been to a NASCAR race, this year is the perfect opportunity. NASCAR is a family-friendly sport where adrenaline junkies love to cheer for their favorite drivers. Kansas Speedway offers many experiences adding to the entertainment for families, whether you purchase a pit pass or scanners to track cars throughout the race. We have great tips to make the most of your Kansas Speedway experience with kids:
- May 11, 2018: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Kansas 250
- May 12, 2018: 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Kansas 400
- Youth 12 and under receive FREE tickets to NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and NASCAR XFINITY Series races. Youth tickets for Cup Series races are just $29.
- General Parking at Kansas Speedway is always FREE.
- Fans may bring a soft-sided cooler filled with their favorite food and beverage into the grandstands. Feel free to bring your own kid-friendly snacks and drinks to the track.
- Enhance your race day experience with the Family Pack purchase of a Pre-Race Pass allowing fans to get up close access to driver instructions, the pre-race concert, pit road, sign the Start/Finish line, DC Solar FanWalk, and Gatorade Victory Lane, etc.
- For FREE entertainment before the race, fans are encouraged to stop by the Display Midway. Blue Bunny will be giving away free ice cream samples, they can see various race cars (i.e. Sprint Cars, NHRA cars, NASCAR cars) up close and personal and they can stop by Racing 101 for FREE prizes.
- Purchase earplugs/earmuffs (you can get these at Kansas Speedway!). Protect those ears!
- Bring binoculars.
- Wear good walking shoes.
- Arrive 1-1 ½ hours pre-race to enjoy the pre-race atmosphere, tailgating, concert, and fun.
- Dress in layers with wind and sun protection in mind. Consider the weather and bring jackets, blankets, etc.
- Bring sharpies so you can sign the track before the race... fans are invited to add their autographs to the pavement!
- Talk with your kids about the race and what to watch for BEFORE the race. Once it starts you won’t be able to talk to them without shouting in their ears. Tell them to watch how fast the pit crews work and to watch for yellow flags that mean “slow down” and tell them how to read the leader board. Maybe even watch some of a race on TV before you go. It will help them understand everything better and you won’t have to scream it all at them.
- Plan for a whole day at the races…get there early to avoid the crowds and to be able to enjoy all of the fun extras. And bring entertainment for the car ride…you will definitely have to sit in some traffic on the way in and out.
- Bring pre/post-race entertainment. Frisbees, soccer balls and horseshoes are popular for tailgating.
- Rent a Racing Electronics Scanner or FanVision in advance (May 7, 2018) to save money. Both options give the fan an opportunity to listen in and hear everything their favorite driver is hearing and saying. Similar to being in the huddle during a football or basketball game. Here are the details:http://www.
kansasspeedway.com/Buy- Tickets/Racing-Electronics. aspx
- New this year, Kansas Speedway has enhanced seating options by adding drink rails in select sections that will provide a place for your favorite beverage and scanner headsets, along with more leg room and space for your soft-sided cooler. Several of these sections also have youth pricing for kids 12 and under, so ask about availability in these sections when ordering your tickets.
After the races... this summer check out the Richard Petty Driving Experience (800.237.3889) at Kansas Speedway. This bucket list experience allows fans to take a ride or get behind the wheel of a 600-hp NASCAR race car. Experience Kansas Speedway, a 1.5-mile tri-oval track at speeds of up to 155 mph. Driving experiences are offered for adults only. The ride-along experience is offered for guests ages 14 and older, and children ages 6-13 (and at least 48 inches tall) may participate in the junior ride-along experience. Enjoy the thrills and excitement of riding shotgun in a race car driven around the track by a professional instructor!