Kansas City's Winter Break Guide
(page 1 of 2)
Kids out of school over the holidays and looking for fun? Local attractions offer great programs for every interest and age. Check out these Winter Break Camps and Special Events in Kansas City:
Note: This list may not be reproduced online or in print without permission from KC Parent. Additions and changes may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter Break Day Camps
The Kansas City Zoo (6800 Zoo Dr., Kansas City, MO) offers a variety of Day Camps this winter. Pre-registration is required for these programs and they do fill up fast! And, for those looking for a fun outing, the zoo is open year-round (except Christmas Day).
- School’s Out Safari Dec. 20: "Fishy Nets" Dec. 21: "Reindeer Roundups" Jan. 2: "Dynamic Duos" Jan. 3: "Bug Butts" Jan. 4: "Flying Flippers" Jan. 21: "Wildlife Wins" (More offered Feb- Apr.) Ages: 5-12. For each School’s Out Safari event please dress appropriately for the weather and make sure to send your child with a lunch!
- Winter Break Camp: Beasts Feasts: Dec 27-28, Ages: 5-12. Animals have to eat just like us. Discover the world of animal nutrition, diets, and food preparations. Everything from what and how we feed the animals at the zoo to how animals hunt and gather on their own. You’ll be surprised how much we have in common.
Keep kids active Dec. 20-21 and 26-28 at Lenexa's Winter Break Camp at the Lenexa Rec Center. Spend time creating, splashing in the pool and more.
Code Ninjas Leawood (3622 W 135th St, Leawood, KS) offers day camps when school is out: Dec. 26-28, Jan. 2-4, Jan. 21. One-day camps with fun activities including coding, game-building, robotics, and creative thinking.
Adventure awaits your child at JCPRD Out of School Time (OST) programs! JCPRD challenges our next generation with fun and stimulating enrichment opportunities. Multi-talented and well-educated staff facilitate opportunities to explore: Creativity, Environmental literacy, Fitness, Health, Innovation, Science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). A mixed age group setting and opportunities for gender specific activities are also included. JCPRD-OST programs are instrumental in building important life skills of problem-solving, self-confidence, teamwork, mentoring and goal-setting. Program hours are ideal for stay at home and working parents. Learn more here.
Centerpoint Medical Center Community Ice Rink 19100 E. Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO. Learn to ice skate at one of their camps (Dec. 26-28, or Dec. 29-31). They offer camps for ages 3 - adult for $40/ea.
Bring your kids to your local KCMO Parks & Rec Community Center to enjoy games, arts and crafts projects, and athletic activities during the holiday season! School’s out, but kids still need something to do — local community centers offer games, crafts, field trips and fun! Snacks are provided, but children should bring their own sack lunch. Dates and days vary by center and school district.
Grandview Parks & Rec at The View (13500 Byars Rd., Grandview, MO).Camp Kaleidoscope is the fastest-growing kids' program offered by Grandview Parks & Recreation. Scheduled when school is not in session, Camp K provides kids a safe place to play, make new friends and learn instead of hanging out in front of a television or on their phones all day. Dec. 26-30 includes weekly field trip, tshirt, and afternoon snack. Daily swimming, rock wall climbing, guest speakers, arts and crafts, games and much more.
The Johnson County Museum (8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, KS. 913.715.2550) Kids' Day Out Programs Dec. 26, 27, 28, and Jan. 2, 3, and 4: Explore history though crafts and projects, visit KidScape and the museum exhibits, play games, and enjoy down time. Make reservations at 913.715.2570.
Integrity Gymnastics (7373 W. 107th, Overland Park, KS) is the go-to place for kids camps in Overland Park! They offer Half Day or All Day camp programs.
Sporting KC will be hosting a Skills Camp during your Winter Break for Boys & Girls 6-14 years-old. Camp will be held Dec. 27-29 from 9am-noon, fee is $175/child.
Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art Dec. 19-21 from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m..Kemper Museum hosts a fun FREE three-day art camp for kids ages 7–11 with activities inspired by Angela Dufresne: Making a Scene, the site-specific art installation Sweet On by artist Paul Henry Ramirez, and other works currently on view. Campers will let their imaginations take over as they explore mythology, fantasy, and humor to create their own contemporary artwork based on these themes. To register, contact Jessica Thompson-Lee at email@example.com or 816-457-6136.
Jan. 3-4 at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church, 9300 Nall, Overland Park, KS. $125 for both days. Children ages Kindergarten-2nd grade will enjoy this Hansel and Gretel themed mini day camp. Listen to music from the opera, sing, dance, enjoy art, and more.
Winter Break Specials for the Whole Family
Paradise Park (1021 NE Colbern Rd Lee’s Summit, MO) is a favorite indoor (and outdoor - weather permitting) attraction for family fun. They offer these great specials during Winter Break, Dec. 21- Jan. 7:
- Fri 21 - Buy a regular priced Max Pak, get a FREE personal pizza
- Sat 22 - Unlimited Video Game Play (Unlimited play for 1 hour between 9:30 am-noon, novelty and redemption games are not included)
- Sun 23 - Game Room, Foam Factory, Operation Laser Tag, Rock Climbing and Bumper Cars are all open from 11:30 to 5 pm on Christmas Eve. Outdoor attractions will be open if weather permits. Buy a $20 Fun Card, get a FREE Soft Drink
- Mon 24 - Christmas Spirit: wear your holiday sweater and get $5 OFF each Max Pak Adventure Pass purchased
Tue 25 - CLOSED
- Wed 26 - Double Ticket Day, earn Up to 1,000 tickets
- Thur 27 - Buy a $20 Fun Card, get a FREE personal pizza
- Fri 28 - Grandparent's “Funday”- grandparents get a FREE attraction with any purchase of another attraction for the grandkids
- Sat 29 - Buy a Max Pak get a $5 fun card FREE
- Sun 30 - “Ice Cream Sunday”- get a FREE ice cream treat with the purchase of any Max Pak
- Mon 31 - Unlimited Video Game Play (Unlimited play for 1 hour between 9:30 am-noon, novelty and redemption games are not included)
- Tue 1 - Get a FREE adult Discovery Play admission, with the purchase of a child admission
- Wed 2 - Double Ticket Day, earn Up to 1,000 tickets
- Thur 3 - Wear your new year’s eve gear and get $5 OFF each Max Pak Adventure Pass purchased
- Fri 4 - Buy a Laser Tag admission, get one FREE Laser Tag Admission
- Sat 5 - Buy a Max Pak get a $5 fun card FREE
- Sun 6 - “Ice Cream Sunday”- get a FREE ice cream treat with the purchase of any Max Pak
- Mon 7 - Unlimited Video Game Play (Unlimited play for 1 hour between 9:30 am-noon, novelty and redemption games are not included)