Kansas City's Winter Break Guide
(page 2 of 2)
Winter Break Ice Skating
Kansas City's Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks:
The season for the outdoor rinks is typically November through February or March. Please call for hours for each location.
- Crown Center Ice Terrace 2425 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO, 816.274.8411, CrownCenter.com. Admission is $7/ea, and $3/skate rental. On Tuesdays after 5:00, pay one full-price admission and receive a second for FREE. Hours November, December and January: Sunday - Thursday, 10 am - 9 pm. Friday - Saturday, 10 am - 11 pm. Holiday Hours: Christmas Eve, 10 am - 6 pm. Christmas Day, CLOSED. New Year's Eve, 10 am - 6 pm. New Year's Day, noon - 9 pm.
- Summit Ice 120 NE Chipman Rd., Lee’s Summit MO, 816.249.2600, KCIce.net. Enjoy skating, pond hockey, curling, broom ball and ice skating lessons at this facility. Hours: Mon - Thur: 2:00-8:00pm. Fri: 2:00pm - 10:50pm. Sat: 11:00am - 10:50pm. Sun: 11:00am - 8:00pm. School Break & School Closings: Open at 11:00am.
- The Ice at Park Place 11565 Ash St., Leawood, KS, 913.663.2070, ParkPlaceLeawood.com. Throughout the season enjoy special events like Skating with Santa, Princess Skate and Valentine's Day Skate.
- Linden Square Ice Rink 602 NE 70th St., Gladstone, MO, 816.423.4200, LindenSquare.info/ice-rink. Children 4 and under skate free at this affordable local rink.
- Ice Rink at Bois D'Arc Park in Lenexa West 88th Terrace, Lenexa, KS. This rink is only open when temps are cold enough for the ice to be solid. The rink is open during daytime hours and is free to use, but you must bring your own skates. Lenexa.com
Kansas City's Indoor Ice Skating Rinks Open Year-round:
- Centerpoint Medical Center Community Ice Rink 19100 E. Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO, 816.795.7577, CenterpointCommunityIce.com
- Kansas City Ice Center and Pavilion 19900 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS, 913.441.3033, KCIceCenter.com
- Line Creek Community Center Ice Rink 5940 NW Waukomis Dr., Kansas City, MO, 816.513.0760, KCParks.org/places/line-creek
Main Event offers three locations in the metro where you’ll have a blast enjoying their state-of-the-art bowling, multi-level laser tag, thrilling high ropes adventure courses, video games, billiards and fast-casual restaurants. The 45,000- to 75,000-square-foot family entertainment centers offer specials throughout the week and great packages for groups. Sun-Fri enjoy $7/activity (bowling, billiards, laser tag & more). On Mondays enjoy ALL-YOU-CAN-PLAY activities or arcade games for only $10.95 per guest from 4pm to close. Or, purchase an ALL-DAY FUNPASS. For only $24.95, you can play all of Main Event's activities all day, any day of the week. That includes unlimited bowling, laser tag, billiards, and more.
Jump City (8020 E 171st St, Belton, MO) is an indoor play place kids love. With wall-to- wall inflatables, a variety of arcade games, full concession options there is plenty to enjoy at this indoor attraction. Tip: Save with our coupon!
Kaleidoscope (2500 Grand Blvd. Kansas City, MO) offers lots of FREE Family Sessions during Winter Break. Explore the most wonderful and imaginative hands-on art center for children around. Children of all ages and their adults are welcome to attend our special Family Art Sessions. Each session lasts 40 minutes. All children must be accompanied by an adult and all adults must be accompanied by a child. Family Sessions are offered Monday-Friday. Call 816.274.8300 for more information.
Paint, Glaze and Fire (12683 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS) is a paint-your-own-pottery studio. Choose a ceramic piece and paint your own masterpiece. Glass fusing also offered. KIDS OUT OF SCHOOL? Studio Fees are always 1/2 price during the school year when kids are out of school for conference, winter break, etc. Just mention this special when you arrive at the studio.
Ceramic Cafe (12683 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS) is a paint-your-own-pottery studio. Specials include: “Friday Fun” Groups of four or more save 10 percent off the cost of pottery pieces. “Thrifty Thursdays” From 6-9 pm everyone saves $5 off all pottery. Sunday is “Family and Friends Day” Groups of 3 or more save $3 on every pottery item they paint.
Spend the day discovering at the Kansas Children's Discovery Center (4400 SW 10th Ave, Topeka, KS). Explore their special exhibit, "The Pigeon Comes to Topeka!" on display through January 4. The exhibition is inspired by the art and characters of the beloved children’s book author and illustrator, Mo Willems. Many familiar characters are featured including best friend duo Elephant and Piggie, faithful companion Knuffle Bunny and The Pigeon, the wily city bird best known for his antics in Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Activities will give visitors the opportunity to make art that is inspired by Mo Willems and to learn about the rich social and emotional lives of the author’s characters. The exhibit will also feature prints of illustrations, including sketches and other preliminary materials, by Mo Willems. During Winter Break: visit from Wednesday, December 26 to Friday, December 28 for daily storytime and meet with Mo Willems' Piggie and Elephant everyday at 11. From Wednesday, December 26 to Friday, December 28, your admission gets you even more fun with extended holiday hours from 9 to 5. Stick around until the afternoon for Chemistry Craze programs everyday at 2. Read our review of The Pigeon Comes to Topeka exhibit.
Winter Break Roller Skating
- Skate City (10440 Mastin St., Overland Park, KS .913.888.6668). offers Winter Break Sessions all season. Visit http://www.skatecitykansas.com/overland-park.html for info.
- Skate City (9800 W 62nd Terrace, Merriam, KS ). offers Winter Break Sessions all season. Visit http://www.skatecitykansas.com/shawnee-mission.html for info.
- Landmark Skate (701 Southeast Oldham Ct. Lee's Summit, MO. 816.524.2000). offers Winter Break Sessions all season from 1-3pm on Dec, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28, Jan. 2 and 28. Visit http://landmark2skate.com/calendar/ for info.
- B & D South Skating Rink (13903 E. Noland Court, Independence, MO. 816.252.1084). They offer Winter Break Sessions - visit http://www.banddsouth.com/.
- Northland Rolladium (1020 Kent St, Liberty, MO. 816.792.0590). offers Winter Break Sessions all season. Visit http://www.skateliberty.net for info.
- River Roll (4720 NW Gateway, Riverside, MO. 816.587.0131). offers Winter Break Sessions. Info at http://www.riverroll.com.
And, as always check the KC Parent Calendar for MORE great ideas!