Kansas City's Weekend Planner
Kansas City’s arts, antiques and dining districts roll out the red carpet all month long with special hours, sales and events on weekends. These events occur monthly on the first, second, third or final “day” of the month.
- First Fridays in the Crossroads, starting at 5:00. First Fridays have become a Kansas City tradition in just a few short years. Every month more than 10,000 residents and visitors head to the cultural arts district for free peeks at galleries and studios, delicious treats from food trucks and local restaurants, and entertainment from street performers and buskers showcasing their talent. Tip: Christopher Elbow Chocolates sells their gourmet edible works of art for $1 apiece during First Fridays, a discounted way to enjoy the local treat.
- First Friday Weekend in the West Bottoms, Fri.-Sun. The historic West Bottoms district, home to the KC Stockyards in the 1940s, is now famous for its haunted houses in the fall and its antique and boutique shops year-round. On the first weekend of each month, the shops are open late. Some shops in the district are open daily all year, and others open only for the first weekend of the month.
- Saucy Second Saturdays at Powell Gardens Music, drinks and later hours all included with general admission.
- Second Saturday in Weston. Weston is a favorite day trip from Kansas City with a historic shopping district, local winery, great restaurants and B&Bs. The shops are open late on the second Saturday of each month, and the Upstairs Tea Room performs a murder mystery dinner theater (reservations required).
- Third Thursday at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 6:00-9:00. An evening designed with adults in mind, this event features live music, free programs, art activities, local artists and entertainment.
- Third Thursday in Martin City, from 5:00 to 9:00. Small businesses in the Martin City shopping district are open for extended hours on the third Thursday of each month. Relish dinner at Jack Stack, RC’s, the Martin City Brewery or Jess and Jim’s, then enjoy shopping at a local boutique.
- Third Friday in Downtown Overland Park, 5:00-9:00. Historic Downtown Overland Park is a mecca of local shops, galleries and restaurants. During this event, enjoy cooking demos, specials, live entertainment and samples at local businesses.
- Third Friday Englewood Art Walk, 5:30-9:00. The Englewood District, along Winner Road from Sterling to Ralston Avenue, was originally developed in the 1940s in Independence. The original buildings now house galleries, shops and restaurants. On third Fridays, enjoy live entertainment and specials.
- Third Saturday Wine Walk on Delaware, 5:00-8:00 April through October. Delaware Street in the River Market is home to an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants, hosting a wine tasting for those 21 and over each month. Purchase your tickets at 412 Delaware, Kansas City, MO (Café al Dente) or 300 Delaware, Kansas City, MO (The Farmhouse). $15/person.
- 39th Street Art Walk, 6:00-10:00. The merchants of 39th Street open their doors to local and regional painters, photographers, sculptures, printmakers, artists, musicians, belly-dancers, fire twirlers, roller-derby girls, motorcycle enthusiasts, and – of course – to you the lover of the arts. Kansas City continues to bask in its well-earned reputation as a vibrant hub of the cultural arts. Over the last six years, we have showcased the talents of hundreds of Kansas City’s finest artists, and tens of thousands of cultural arts enthusiasts.
- Fourth Friday Art Walk in Downtown Lee’s Summit, 5:00-8:00 March through August. Art Walks in Downtown Lee’s Summit are packed with a variety of activities including artist receptions, artist showcases, Music in the Park at Howard Station Park, street theater, Yoga in the Streets, and even some surprises!
- Olathe Fourth Fridays, 5:30-8:00 spring through fall. This event features live concerts, food trucks, freebies, familyfriendly fun, giveaways and entertainment for all ages.
- Fourth Friday in Liberty, 6:00- 9:00 in Downtown Liberty, Over 14 stores and 6 restaurants will be open until at least 9pm on all 4th Fridays. It is the perfect time to go out for a bite to eat followed by a unique shopping experience in our historic downtown.
- Final Fridays in Lawrence. Featuring hundreds of artists and performers in more than 30 locations, this free event is fun for everyone.
- Final Fridays in Parkville. On the Final Friday of the Month from June-Sept from 5-8pm Downtown Parkville hosts Final Fridays. Enjoy after-hours shopping, dining and family friendly festivities.