Kansas City's Spring Break Guide
It's time to plan for Spring Break and that means many terrific family fun outings, great classes for Kansas City Kids, and Special Spring Break Programs. This is our 2018 guide to Spring Break in KC:
Note: This guide was compiled by the staff of KC Parent Magazine and may not be reproduced in print or online without permission. If you have additions to this guide, please email email@example.com.
This guide features two sections: Spring Break Camps and Fun Outings for Families During Spring Break.
Spring Break Camps in the Kansas City Area
Spring Break Camps fill up fast! Make your reservations today! Camps require pre-registration as slots fill quickly. Some programs offer discounts for residents (through local parks & rec departments) or memberships with attractions.
Kansas City Zoo Spring Break Camp for children ages 5-12 at Kansas City Zoo, 6800 Zoo Dr., Kansas City, MO. Just because you can’t talk doesn’t me you don’t communicate. Animals communicate in all sorts of ways. Whether by sound, body language or smell, you are certain to get the message. Day 1: Auditory Communication- Calls & Sounds. Day 2: Visual/Tactile Communications- Displays, Body Language, & Touch. Day 3: Chemical/Scents- Smells.
Mesner Puppet Camps March 12 – 16 or March 26 – 30, Students ages 1st-6th grade at Mesner Puppet Studio, 1006 Linwood Boulevard, Kansas City, MO. We are transforming our theater into a movie studio just for YOU! Spend the week with us, working together to creating a story, making puppets and sets, and filming a movie with your new friends. We have green screens, 3D printers, and materials; everything you need to bring your story to life. At the end of the week, we will project our movie masterpiece on a big screen, with popcorn and refreshments for your friends and family before putting it on YouTube for the world to enjoy.
Starlight Theatre Spring Break Camp During Spring Break, Starlight Theatre’s popular Spring Break Camp is the ideal choice to keep aspiring young performers active and engaged. For children in grades 1 to 5, Starlight offer two one-week sessions of Spring Break Camp, which coincide with the spring breaks of most Kansas City metro area school districts. In 2018, Spring Break Camp meets during the weeks of March 12-16 or March 19-23. Children attending Spring Break Camp at Starlight unleash their creativity and talents, make new friends and take the stage in front of a live audience! Led by theatre professionals, campers explore acting, singing and dance; enjoy fun theatre games that enhance their skills; and rehearse and create sets, props and costumes for a production to be staged for family and friends at the end of the week. Registration fee is $225. No previous performance experience is required. Register at kcstarlight.com/education or call 816.997.1134 with questions.
KCYA CSA Spring Break Camp Mar. 12-16 KC Young Audiences, 3732 Main St, Kansas City . Camps begin at 8:30am daily Monday - Friday. We also offer an extended day program. Spring Break Campers here for the whole day need to bring their own sack lunch. Each camp concludes with a sharing for family and friends. Themes include:
- Under the Sea: Get ready for an aquatic adventure! Students will dive into the underwater world through dance, visual art, and acting. Explore the wonders of the ocean in this engaging, hands-on camp. This half-day camp may be combined with Moovin and Groovin to create a full day of fun.
- Moovin' and Groovin': Move and groove your way through Spring Break! In this fun and lively camp, students will spend their afternoon dancing, singing and acting. Explore the beat and create memorable moves in this brand new camp. This half-day camp may be combined with Under the Sea to create a full day of fun.
- Got Talent: Campers will create the ultimate variety show. A professional teaching artist will help students explore the worlds of dance, theatre and music. The week will conclude with a KCYA's Got Talent show for family and friends.
- Improv Adventure: Campers will create hilarious comedy sketches and improv scenes similar to Saturday Night Live using improvisational techniques, performance skills, and their imaginations. Campers will work with professional teaching artists to develop their own comedic style and put it all together for a performance for family and friends.
- Musical Theatre: Charlie Brown: Become a triple threat! Campers will sing, dance, and act their way through a fun-filled week of musical theatre. Focusing on scenes from a Broadway Musical, they will learn how to put these three essential elements together in an energetic and compelling manner. Wow family and friends at the Friday afternoon performance that concludes the camp!
Spring Break Camp at Ernie Miller Nature Center Mar. 12-16 at Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. K-7 Highway, Olathe, KS.
- Ages 6-10, Mar. 12-16: Take an adventure this spring break at Ernie Miller Nature Center. Meet critters big and small, hike in the fresh spring air, create nature treats with newly found friends, and join us on a field trip. Activities begin at 9 am and continue until 4 pm. For the convenience of working parents, supervision will be provided from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm daily. Children should bring a nutritious sack lunch, reusable water bottle, and drink. We provide a morning and afternoon snack. Parents will receive a letter describing camp activities, a supply list, and a medical form which must be completed and returned one week prior to camp. Enrollment is limited to 20 campers. For more information call (913) 826-2806. Camp fees are non-refundable. Visit jcprd.com to register.
- Ages 11-13, Mar. 12-16: Come exploring wild areas, find long forgotten trails, and learn the secrets of survival. We will go canoeing, fishing, do team building and zip lining at the challenge course at TimberRidge Adventure Center. Participants will need to bring a backpack with a nutritious sack lunch, water bottle, and comfortable all-weather clothing. The last day of camp we will have a cook out. Spring Break Adventures Camp will meet every morning at the Ernie Miller Nature Center. Programmed activities will begin at 9 am and conclude at 4 pm. For the convenience of working parents, supervision will be provided from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm.Activities may vary due to the weather conditions. Parents will receive a letter describing camp activities, a supply list, and a medical form which must be completed and returned one week prior to camp. Enrollment is limited to 13 campers. For more information call (913) 826-2804. Camp fees are non-refundable. Visit jcprd.com to register.
YMCA SPRING BREAK CAMP AT CAMP NAISH During Spring Break, Camp Naish is an outdoor environmental camp focused on connecting kids with nature and adventure. Campers will be challenged to utilize what is around them to engineer varying ways to survive in the wilderness; such as building shelters and identifying varying plants and animals. Activities include archery, puzzle solving treks, hiking and more to build teamwork, creativity and new skills.
YMCA No School Days During Spring Break Metro area YMCA Locations, Kansas City . For those irregular days when school isn’t in session, such as seasonal breaks, conference days and in-service days, the Y offers No School Days at locations throughout the area.
Kids Day Out at Johnson County Museum During Spring Break (March 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 30, and Apr. 2) at Johnson County Museum (8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, KS). Come have fun when school is out! Kids choose from a variety of activities each day, including KidScape, art, dance, music, and down time. Bring your lunch and a water bottle. We provide snacks. Pre-registration required. Open from 7:30am -5:30pm each day. Limited to 45 participants.
Youth Day Camps: Olathe During Spring Break, Olathe, KS. Themes include: Bricks 4 Kidz, Camp Rolling Along & Camp Heartland- Special needs camps, Engineering for Kids, Mad Science, Play-Well Teknologies Lego Camps, Sports Camps: Basketball, Baseball, Dodgeball, Fencing, Soccer Yard, Volleyball, Young Rembrandts and Youth Tech.
- Passport to Wild: Join us for an action-packed adventure as we go on an expedition around the world! From South America to Australia, we’ll discover the world’s wildlife and the unique adaptations that help animals survive in these places. Be prepared to swim like fish this week, along with a field trip to the KC Zoo on Wednesday!
- PD Spring Break Bash: March 13, 9am-12pm, FREE! Join us for a fun morning with the Lenexa PD! We’ll experience PD equipment, play games, and enjoy a K-9 demo and pizza for lunch! Ages 10-14 (4th-8th grade)
- Cupcake Wars: March 15, 2:00-3:30pm, $25/team. Create an animal-inspired cupcake masterpiece! An apron, three cupcakes and some icing provided. Bring your imagination and toppings. Judging based on creativity, presentation and resemblance. Ages 7-14
Spring Break Drama Camp Mar. 12-16 at Theatre of the Imagination OP campus, 6100 W. 127th st, Overland Park, KS. Kids get to act, sing, dance and make movies, and they all perform on stage at the end of the session. They work on funny plays that Director Mr Miles writes just for them. No auditions and no leads, everyone gets a great role. The week culminates with a big show for friends and family. Show is free, no tickets, and we provide the costumes at no charge. Call to register 816.561.2787
JCPRD Spring Break Camps During Spring Break. Call the JCPRD Registration Department at 913-831-3359 to register. JCPRD offers a variety of Spring Break camps exploring themes like soccer, Engineering FUNdamentals using LEGO®, basketball, volleyball, science and nature, arts and crafts and more!
Fun Outings During Spring Break
Union Station Union Station, 30 W. Pershing, Kansas City, MO. Enjoy many attractions including movies on the Extreme Screen, Planetarium Shows, the KC Model Rail Exhibit and Science City. Explore Science City the dynamic, hands-on science center! Kids of all ages will experience the amazing world of science first-hand through fun and engaging exhibits and programs. Visit the special exhibit Art of the Brick (additional ticket required). This first-ever art exhibition focused exclusively on the use of LEGO bricks as an art medium is one of those rare experiences nearly impossible to describe, but so easy to love. Read our review of The Art of the Brick here. Over 100 arresting creations from the mind of a contemporary art genius. Pop by the Model Rail Experience on your way out too for free. What does 8,000 square feet of toy trains look like? Come and see Union Station Kansas City's Model Railroad Experience and find out! From tiny N-scale model trains to the big G-scale giants of the model train world, sample the hobby and enjoy the fun of model railroading. The Model Railroad Experience is FREE for all Union Station visitors!
Spring Break Living History Mar. 15-17 from 10am-4pm at Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm (1200 E. KANSAS CITY RD.,Olathe, KS). Cost: $7/ adults, $5/ children ages 5-11. Enjoy 1860s hands on Living History activities such as horse-powered plowing, planting, helping in the garden, stagecoach rides* and cookstove and blacksmith demonstrations. *Weather and ground conditions permitting.
Learn to Code at Code Ninjas Code Ninjas (3622 W. 135th St., Leawood, KS. 913.735.9346) They teach kids ages 7-14 to code by building awesome video games. Kids have fun, parents see results!Level-up your coding and game-building skills faster. Learn keyboarding and MS Office skills that enhance coding. Free time for robotics and STEM games. Get homework help.
The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures 5235 Oak St., Kansas City, MO. Special spring break programs:
MIBSTERS IN TRAINING: SPRING BREAK MARBLE LESSONS: MONDAY, MARCH 12, 2018 — FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 2018 Learn the art of knuckling down and practice shooting marbles out of a ring in T/m’s special exhibit, Playing for Keeps. Included with museum admission. Free for museum members.
MIBSTERS IN TRAINING: SPRING BREAK MARBLE CRAFT: THURSDAY, MARCH 15 & 29, 2018 | 1-3:30PM Create a special marble craft to take home! On March 15 and 29, kids of all ages can create a special necklace or key chain made out of a crackled marble. Included with museum admission. Free for museum members.
MIBSTERS IN TRAINING: SPRING BREAK MARBLE CRAFT THURSDAY, MARCH 22, 2018 | 1-3:30PM Create a special marble craft to take home! Make a forever friend by crafting an animal using clay and marbles. Included with museum admission.
Funville: What do you want to be? Crown Center, Crown Center Showplace, Level 1, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO. Free admission. thru May 6. Will your child be a firefighter, a schoolteacher, a racecar driver, or maybe, President of the United States? In FUNVILLE, children experience grown-up occupations in a kid friendly setting. Let them forecast the weather, perform magic, work in a barbershop or ride a tractor. Whatever they choose, the most important job in FUNVILLE is to have fun.
Tuck Everlasting production by The Coterie Theatre, Crown Center Level I, 2450 Grand Ave Suite 144, Kansas City, MO. Over a century ago, the Tucks - Ma, Pa, and their sons Miles and Jesse - drank from a forest spring. Ever since, no one in the family has aged a bit. Now they have to live separately only to reunite once every 10 years because of rising suspicions when they never age. Now, young Winnie Foster is out exploring the woods, and she has accidentally discovered the Tuck family secret... which brings her to the question: Is living outside the rules of time a blessing or a curse? Read our review of Tuck Everlasting here.
Spring Break Specials at Paradise Park Paradise Park, 1021 NE Colbern Rd, Lee's Summit, MO. March 9-30, Every day, all day we have a different special for spring breakers -- from buy one get one free, to unlimited play to double ticket day to $5 off for wearing green... Click here for Spring Break Specials!
Open Jump at Urban Air (14401 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, KS). Urban Air Overland Park is an attractive solution to a common problem: needing one place to entertain kids of every age. If you're up for a little sweat and a lot of bounce, Urban Air Overland Park is the place for you. Not just a room full of trampolines or another neighborhood park. We’re bringing families and friends together for a hyped up, healthy dose of jumping, climbing, swinging, crawling, building, flying and dunking. Check out our attractions including our Urban Air Warrior Courseto learn more about the generous helping of frenetic fun Urban Air Overland Park brings to you.
Open Play at Jump City (8020 E 171st St, Belton, MO). At Jump City, your kids will have a blast with a variety of games and activities. Jump City features giant themed inflatable slides, obstacle courses, bounce houses, interactive games, a toddler play area, and much more. So whether the weather’s too harsh to head outdoors, or you’re looking for an awesome indoor party destination, visit Jump City to enjoy all the joys of being outside in one fun-filled location.
Paint, Glaze & Fire (12683 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS). Paint, Glaze & Fire is a great place to spend quality time and make memories with your friends, family, or just about anyone! Paint your own ceramics or try your hand at glass fusing at this creative studio. Tip: 1/2 price studio fees throughout spring break (3/9 - 3/19) and will be Open Monday 3/12 3/19 from 10 am - 5 pm too Reservations recommended, walk-ins welcome. To make a reservation call us at (913) 661-CLAY. Bonus: Paint Me A Story March 16, 10:30am – 11:30am. Paint a special pottery project that goes along with a favorite children's book. A wonderful time for parents (grandparents or nanny) and children to listen to a story and paint together! $15/child, $13/sibling.
Kansas Cosmosphere (1100 N Plum St, Hutchinson, KS). Discover a place where curiosity has no limits, where excitement knows no bounds, where one small step in learning becomes a giant leap of understanding. Explore the rich history of those who came before us and find your inspiration as you look to the future. For a complete list of daily activities, visit cosmo.org or call 620.662.2305.
Junie B. Jones is Not a Crook production by Theatre for Young America at Union Station, H&R Block City Stage Level B, 30 W. Pershing Rd, Kansas City, MO. One of the funniest and most beloved characters in modern children’s literature, Junie B Jones, comes to life again on the TYA stage. She faces a crisis about Finders Keeper vs. Stealing with her usual spunk and humor.
Ceramic Cafe (9510 Nall Ave, Overland Park, KS). Ceramic Cafe is a paint-your-own-pottery and glass fusing studio serving the Kansas City area. All ages are welcome. Paint your pottery piece or create a beautiful work of glass in our vibrant Leawood, Kansas, studio. The process to paint, glaze and fire your masterpiece takes about a week.Bonus: Check out their Creative Story Time on 3/13 and 3/16.Theme: Looking for Leprechauns by Sheila Keenan.
Mad Hatter Tea Party with Culture House March 24, make reservations.Join Oak Park and Culture House in this fun, interactive show, complete with cupcakes, cookies, appetizers and of course, tea! Upon entry, you will find yourself transported into a fun and whimsical world of the Mad Hatter who is sure to entertain with jokes, music and more. Purchase your tickets now to make sure you don’t miss out on the fun!!!
Spring Break Programming at Mid-Continent Public Libraries Area branches are hosting special events including science classes, craft workshops, puppet shows, story times, concerts, magic shows and demonstrations. Check out their calendar of events for programming near you!
Spring Break Programming at Johnson County Public Libraries Area branches are hosting special events including Teen Tech Week, Spring Break Scavenger Hunts, special story times, classes and demonstrations. Check their calendar of events for a program near you!