It’s Blueberry Month in Kansas City
Celebrate National Blueberry Month with a trip to a local berry patch to pick blueberries fresh from the bush. Or enjoy delectable blueberry treats at local restaurants!
Berry Picking Tips:
- Check out our guide to the best KC area blueberry patches.
- Call ahead to verify picking times as they vary from farm to farm. This is a MUST!
- Remember comfortable shoes (you will be walking in fields) and wear sunscreen.
- Bring bottled water and pack a picnic if the farm allows.
- And don’t forget to take pictures—children with blueberry smiles make a great photo op!
Delicious Blueberry Foods:
Frozen Treats: For the foodie, Glace Artisan Ice Cream is a favorite destination. Known for unique gourmet ice cream made with fresh ingredients, the shop offers a blueberry ice cream that’s a summer favorite! You also might try the lemon curd and blueberry sorbet. Betty Rae’s in Waldo serves several homemade ice creams with blueberries, but our favorite blueberry treat is their Berry Pie Ice Cream Sandwich, made with pie crust rounds and raspberry and blueberry ice cream. Or stop in at the Johnson County favorite Sylas & Maddy’s for their homemade blueberry ice cream.
Blueberry Breakfast: One of Kansas City’s most beloved bakeries for more than 60 years, McLain’s is famous for its chocolate cup cookies, but they also make a mean coffeecake with blueberry cheese as one of their most popular flavors. Treat the family to a blueberry pancake breakfast at the Big Biscuit, Winstead’s (many local locations) or First Watch (many local locations).
Adults Only: Beautifully situated on a hill in Weston, MO, you’ll find Pirtle Winery, a quaint little winery famous for their mead, but also many delicious wines—including blueberry wine.