FREE (and Cheap) Summer Movies in KC
This summer, enjoy a Free (or Cheap) Movie at one of several area locations! We have your Guide to Free (and Cheap) Summer Movies in Kansas City!
Note: Parents are advised to review movies before attending. Not all movies are appropriate for all ages. Also, this list was compiled by the staff of KC Parent Magazine and may not be reproduced in print or online without permission. Please email email@example.com if you have an addition to this list.
Host your Own Outdoor Summer Movie
Plan a movie in your own backyard! Movies2U is Kansas City’s premier provider and facilitator of outdoor and indoor cinema events. From beginning to end, they deliver a 5-star experience that creates lasting memories. Movies2U will deliver crystal clear projection and superior quality audio on industry leader Epic Outdoor Cinema’s cutting edge inflatable screens. Visit http://movies2u.com/ for info.
Discounted Summer Movies in Kansas City
Cinemark Theatres Summer Movie Clubhouse: Two local Cinemark locations: the Country Club Plaza 526 Nichols Rd, KC, MO and Merriam 5500 Antioch, Merriam, KS. Shows run Mon-Thursday at 10am and Noon. Purchase 10 Movies Passes for $5.00, or tickets can be purchased separately at the box office for $1.00 per show. Admission with a series punch card is limited to one person per card per movie, and valid only at the theatre where purchased. All films that have been selected are rated either G or PG. For more information, visit Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse.
B & B Theaters Summer Movies: Locations: Overland Park 16 (formerly Palazzo 16 Theatre) 8601 W. 135th St., OP, KS. 913.814.7469, Shawnee 18 (formerly Westglen 18) 16301 Midland Dr., Shawnee, KS. 816-333.FILM.,Harrisonville Cineplex 2727 Cantrell Rd. Harrisonville, MO. 816.380.2500, KC Northland 14 (formerly Northglen 14) 4900 NE 80th St., KC, MO. 816.468.1100, Lee's Summit 16 (formerly Eastglen 16)1451 Northeast Douglas St., Lee's Summit, MO. 816.554.3386, Liberty Cinema 12 (Liberty Commons Sears Grand Shopping Center) 2101 West Kansas Liberty, MO. 816.781.1700, Grain Valley Marketplace 8 & GS 1131 North East McQuerry Rd. Grain Valley, MO. 816.559.7001, KC Extreme Screen Union Station 30 West Pershing KC, MO. 816.460.2020 Summer Kids Series Tues-Thurs at 10am, $3/ticket or $2 for those with Backstage Pass. www.bbtheatres.com This summer's features include Boss Baby, Trolls, Ferdinand, Captain Underpants, The Peanuts Movie, Kung Fu Panda 3, Penguins of Madagascar, and Croods.
Alamo Kids Camp: Alamo Drafthouse Main Street Cinema 1400 Main St., KC, MO. Alamo Drafthouse Kids Camp is an affordable way for families to watch great films together all summer. Choose your own ticket price - $1-$3 and buy your tickets online to reserve your seats in advance. 100% of ticket sales are donated to local nonprofits working to make our community a better place. For more information visit Alamo Kids Camp.
Summer Movie Series Blue Springs 8 (1901 MO-7, Blue Springs, MO. 816.224.0551). 2018 Schedule here. Mon - Thurs 10am & 12:30pm. They show two movies a week and you choose the film you'd like to see. http://www.bluesprings8theatre.com/
AMC Summer Movie Camp Get admission to a kid-friendly movie and a KidsPack for just $4+tax, every Wednesday at 10am all summer long! Tickets available soon at box office only. Note: There are Missouri and Kansas locations, but none in the immediate Kansas City area. Warrensburg, MO is the closest participating theater. https://www.amctheatres.com/summer-movie-camp
FREE (and Cheap) Summer Movies in Kansas City 2018
Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead, 13800 Switzer Rd., Overland Park, KS. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and join us for Moo-vie Night at the Farmstead.Gates open at 7: 30 p.m. Moo-vie begins at dusk (approx. 9: 00 p.m.)
- June 21: Babe
- July 19: Cars
Enjoy free outdoor movies on the first Friday of the month June - October at Summit Fair, NW Blue Pkwy in Lee's Summit, MO. Bring your own chairs/blankets! *No glass containers or alcohol permitted.
- June 1 at 7:45pm: The Wizard of Oz: Activities will begin at 7:30PM, which include character visits and photos with Dorothy, Scarecrow, TinMan, Lion and the Wicked Witch! Enjoy live entertainment from local children’s entertainer and face painting! (first come, first served). Kids 12 and under will also receive one FREE (small) shaved ice from our visiting food truck, Kona Ice. You pick the flavor! SHOWTIME is scheduled for approximately 8:40PM – once its dark enough.
- July 6 at 7:45pm: Grease
- Aug - Oct: Movies TBD
$1 Movies at Shawnee Mission Park (7900 Renner Rd., Shawnee Mission, KS). Gates open at 7:30pm and movies start at 8:30pm.
- June 12: Beauty & the Beast
- June 26: Wonder Woman
- July 10: Despicable Me 3
- July 24: The Land Before Time
- August 7: Coco
Enjoy FREE movies on the second Friday of June, July and August at Oak Park Mall Center Court 11149 West 95th Street Overland Park, KS. Activities start at 6pm and the movies start at 7pm in Center Court by Dillard's South. Bring your lawn chairs or bring your blankets for this indoor, air-conditioned event! This is a great place to bring your kids to watch their favorite movies on the big screen! Movies start at 7:00pm sharp. Arrive early to reserve your spot!
- June 8 - Moana
- July 13 - The LEGO Movie
- August 10 - Coco
Crown Center Square, 2500 Grand Blvd, Kansas City. Friday evenings from July 6 - August 4. Cap off your work week with top local bands and favorite food trucks. Finish the evening with a famous flick under the stars at Crown Center Square. Festivities begin at 6 p.m. with the movie starting at approximately 9 p.m. FREE admission. (Guests may not bring alcoholic beverages. They will be available for purchase. Please note pets are not permitted at the event.) Call 816-274-8444 for more information.
- July 6: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Music: KC All Stars
- July 13: Ferris Bueller¹s Day Off Music: The Black Jackets
- July 20: Spider-Man: Homecoming Music: Big Time Grain Co
- July 27: Miracle Music: County Road 5
- August 3: Mamma Mia! Music: The Zeros
Escape to the Library for an adventure on the Big Screen!
- June 21 at 2pm at Red Bridge Branch, Mid-Continent Public Library, 11140 Locust St, Kansas City, MO: High School Musical 2
- July 19 at 2pm at Red Bridge Branch, Mid-Continent Public Library, 11140 Locust St, Kansas City, MO: Moana
Stocksdale Park, 901 S La Frenz Rd, Liberty, MO. Fun and games start at 5 p.m. Movie will begin at dusk (around 8: 30 p.m. Liberty Parks and Recreation will provide popcorn and water. Moviegoers are encouraged to make an evening of it and bring a picnic, lawn chairs and blankets. Please remember, alcohol is not allowed in Liberty’s parks.
- May 18: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- August 10: Peter Rabbit
- October 13: Coco
Stagecoach Park, 1205 E Kansas City Rd, Olathe, KS. Enjoy free popcorn and water (while supplies last) and movies at dusk
- May 11 at 8:15pm: The Incredibles
Central Library, 14 W. 10th St, Kansas City, MO. Third Friday of the month May - Sept from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm. FREE admission - Doors open at 8 p.m. - Screenings: 8: 45 p.m. RSVP for each event by visiting the Film Screenings links or by calling 816.701.3407
- May 18: School of Rock (2003, 1 h 49 m, PG-13)
- June 15: CB4 (1993, 1 h 29 m, R)
- July 20: Nick and Norah’ Infinite Playlist (2008, 1 h 30 m, PG-13)
- August 17: Little Shop of Horrors (1986, 1h 43 m, PG-13)
- Sept. 21: Pitch Perfect (2012, 1 h 52 m, PG-13)
Pack your lawn chairs and blankets and bring your family to enjoy an evening under the stars. Lawn games, including giant Jenga, giant Ker-Plunk, ladder ball and washers, begin at 5: 30 pm. and the movie will begin at dusk.
- May 25 at Buffalo Meadows Park, 9650 Lone Elm Road, Lenexa, KS. The Wizard of Oz.
- June 15 at Electric Park, 9305 Loiret Blvd., Lenexa, KS. The Muppet Movie
- July 20 at Electric Park, 9305 Loiret Blvd. Lenexa, KS. Grease
- August 10 at Electric Park, 9305 Loiret Blvd., Lenexa, KS. Footloose
- Sept. 14 at Electric Park, 9305 Loiret Blvd., Lenexa, KS. Mary Poppins
Movies in the Park: Grandview
Grandview Amphitheater, 13500 Byars Road, Grandview, MO. Bring the kiddos out for a FREE night of fun and games at the Grandview Amphitheater! Free summer concert series will continue every Friday night through August 24th. Enjoy yard games such as over-sized jenga, bean bags, and more! Concessions will be available.
Grab a blanket or bring a lawn chair and join us for a free screening of the movie and popcorn under the stars at Rosedale Park!
- June 8: Ferdinand at Heathwood Park
- July 13: The Star at Rosedale Park
- August 3: Jumanji at Kaw Point Park
Mulberry Lake, 4100 N. Mulberry Dr, Kansas City. 8: 30 pm to 10: 00 pm. Briarcliff Trails of Our Community is proud to once again present these free outdoor for the whole family to enjoy! Movies are shown on Saturday nights during the summer at approx. 8: 45 p.m./dusk at Mulberry Lake across from The Village at Briarcliff. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs and picnic dinners while we do the rest! Link for information.
No registration, but space is limited. Tickets will be distributed 30 minutes before movie begins. Kindergartners and younger must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Feel free to bring a pillow or blanket. Seating is on the floor. Films show at Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park, Olathe, KS AND Olathe Indian Creek Library, 13511 S. Mur-Len Road, Ste. 129, Next to Saver's, Olathe, KS. 2: 00 pm to 3: 45 pm.
- June 4: The Incredibles (rated PG - 115 minutes).
- June 11: Wonder (rated PG - 113 minutes).
- June 18: Charlotte's Web (1973), rated G - 94 minutes
- June 25: Paddington 2, rated PG - 104 minutes
- July 2: Early Man (rated PG - 89 minutes)
- July 9: Mary Poppins (rated G - 139 minutes)
- July 16: Coco, rated PG - 105 minutes
- July 23: Annie, (2000), rated G - 90 minutes
Hyde Park Summer Movies
Listen to live music and watch a movie at 36th & Gillham. Enjoy snacks and craft activities for kids, too. Bring a picnic, blanket or chairs. Your friends and neighbors will be there. And the best part is it's all FREE thanks to the Pilgrim Center, our generous donors who support our Pilgrim Run 5K on Thanksgiving Day, local businesses who donate treats like ice cream each night, our local partners, everyone who comes out to run on T-Day, and our dedicated volunteers.
- June 1: Despicable Me 3
- June 8: Wonder
- June 15: E.T.
- June 22: Beauty & the Beast
Adventure Oasis, 2100 Hub Dr, Independence, MO. $3 per person. Grab your family and join us after hours at Adventure Oasis Water Park for a family friendly movie. Movies will be announced at a later date! Inner tubes will be provided.
- June 8: film TBD
- June 22: film TBD
- July 6: film TBD
- August 10: film TBD
Fairway Pool 6136 Mission Rd, Fairway, KS. The movie will begin quickly after sunset. Admission: $3 per person *Popcorn will be available free-of-charge, with additional concession items available for purchase. If you want to watch the movie from the water, you must bring your own floatie! Deck furniture will also be available for those who prefer to stay dry
- July 7: Trolls
Linden Square, 602 NE 70th St., Gladstone, MO. Movies begin at dusk.
- June 9: Despicable Me 3
- July 14: Coco
Outside Pharaoh Cinema, 114 W Maple Ave, Independence, MO. Moonlight Movies are shown every Thursday at 9pm throughout the summer (June 14 - August 9). The movies are projected onto the side of the Pharaoh Theater on the Independence Square. Bring the whole family every week for a fun FREE event! Concession stand is available on site for your favorite movie snack groups including pizza slices from Square Pizza and popcorn comes from the Pharaoh Theater.
T.B. Hanna Station, 214 S Washington St, Raymore, MO. Free showing at dusk with complimentary popcorn and refreshments! Dusk will be shortly after 9 p.m. on June 15. Arrive early with blankets and chairs to claim your spot!
- June 15: Space Jam
Grounds Park, E Duncan Road and NE 23rd St., Blue Springs, MO. Drive in movies $5 per carload!
- June 15: The Breakfast Club.
Movie in the Park: Johnson County Library
Grab a blanket, pack a picnic and get your music on with some of the greatest musical films from your childhood. Live Listen Local concerts kick off each showing. Music starts at 8 pm, movie starts at dusk at two locations: Electric Park in Lenexa and Santa Fe Commons Park in Overland Park.
- June 15 at Electric Park in Lenexa & Santa Fe Commons Park in Overland Park: The Muppet Movie
- July 20 at Electric Park in Lenexa & Santa Fe Commons Park in Overland Park: Grease
- Aug 17 at Santa Fe Commons Park: Cabaret
Movie in the Park: Lee's Summit
Legacy Park Amphitheater, 897 Blue Stem Parkway, Lee's Summit, MO. Show starts after sunset (approximately 8: 30pm). Gates open at 7: 00pm.
Thursday evenings, Downtown Lee's Summit 13 SE Third Street, Lees Summit, MO. Films begin at dusk.
- July 12: Back to the Future
- August 9: Jumanji
- September 13: BIG
- October 11: Hocus Pocus
Blue Springs Movies In The Park
Rotary Park, 600 NW Vesper Street, Blue Springs, MO. Bring a blanket and lawn chairs and enjoy a free film at dusk.
Grab your blankets and lawn chairs and head out to the Parks. Get there early to save your spot! This year will be even bigger and better with inflatables and all sorts of other fun-filled onsite activities. Come for the fun and Music- stay for the Movie.
- July 19: Flick 'n Float: Join us for a relaxing movie night with your friends and family as you watch Little Mermaid under the stars! This is a great way to cool off on those warm summer nights! Kick back in one of our tubes and float around while watching the big screen or sit on a lounge chair on the deck!
- August 10: Movie TBA
- September 14: Movie TBA
Join us for the kickoff of 2018 movies in the park in Dennis Park (50th & Rainbow). The show will begin at sundown. Admission is free for all ages. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets. In the event of inclement weather this event will be held in the 5050 Rainbow property.
- June 9: Beauty and the Beast (2017)
Bring the whole family, some blankets/chairs and bug spray to enjoy a relevant family flick at Joel Dean Hitt Park, 907 S Allendale Lake Rd, Greenwood, MO. Many families can be seen arriving early enjoying a pizza from Casey's or playing on the play ground while waiting for dusk to settle. Concessions and restrooms will also be available. Movies are Shown on the first Saturday June-August
- June 2: Jumanji
- July 7: Justice League
- August 4: Coco
City Market is parting with tradition and changing up the location and style of their summer movie screenings with FLICKS ON THE BRICKS on final Fridays of June through September. New this year, FLICKS ON THE BRICKS will be located on the brick terrace in front of the paddlewheel in City Market Square. Enter at 5th & Walnut. Admission and parking are FREE. Each movie has a themed live music pre-show you won’t want to miss. Make an evening out of it. Bring chairs and blankets as early as 7pm. We'll watch your stuff while you grab dinner at your favorite City Market spot. Please no coolers. Cash bar available.* Pre-show music starts at 8:00 p.m. Movie rolls at 9:00 p.m.
- JUNE 29 MUSIC: '80s tribute by POMPOUS JACK, MOVIE: ROCK OF AGES (rated PG-13)
- JULY 27 MUSIC: tribute performance. MOVIE: SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (rated PG-13)
- AUGUST 31 MUSIC: '80s/90S tribute. MOVIE: WAYNE'S WORLD (rated PG-13)
- SEPTEMBER 28 MUSIC: LIVE MOVIE SONGS (bring your vocal cords). MOVIE: ALMOST FAMOUS (rated R)
Drive-In Theaters in the Kansas City Area
What could be more fun than a Summer Movie and a box of popcorn? Watching under the stars of course! Trade in stadium seating for a bit of novelty this summer and take in a movie under the open sky. This summer, enjoy the nearly extinct novelty of the Drive-In Theater!
- Boulevard Drive-In Theatre: 1051 Merriam Lane, Kansas City, KS. 913.262.0392
- I-70 Drive-In Theatre: 8701 East 40 Highway Kansas City, MO. 816.861.0501
- Twin Drive-In Theatres: 1320 North 291Mo.Hwy & 291 E. Kentucky Rd. Independence, MO. 816.257.2234
Do you know of more great summer movies to add to our list? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.