8817 State Line Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64114
Friday is typically our night to eat out. Not that there aren’t occasions where we eat out on other nights of the week, but by Friday, I’m tired and look forward to not spending the evening in the kitchen. We have a list of our favorite spots to visit, but I’m always in the market to try someplace fresh. Enter Charleston’s, a new establishment on the KC restaurant scene, at Ward Parkway Center.
We arrived a little after 7:00 on a recent Friday. The place was bustling and while there was a wait list, it moved quickly. One of the first things you’ll notice is the vibe: very lively and welcoming, the perfect place to bring a family.
We love queso and order it almost everywhere we visit when it’s on the menu. I was a bit hesitant to try the version at Charleston’s, as it listed sausage as an ingredient and I’m more a cheese-only type girl. To my delight, the sausage was so finely ground that it added flavor without bulk…perfecto! We were all pretty hungry, and the queso didn’t last long. (If it weren’t bad form to lick the bowl, we probably would have—the queso was just that good!) The salads and soup arrived and, although I didn’t order either, I tried bites of both and can give two thumbs up!
For dinner, I had the French dip sandwich and subbed veggies for fries. My older had the chicken strip platter, my younger the grilled chicken and avocado club sandwich, and my hubby the prime rib. Typically, I’ve found when we dine out our food is very good for the most part, but encountering a disappointment or two is not out of the question. But at Charleston’s, either we ordered the perfect items from the menu or the food is just that good. There wasn’t a single thing we ordered that was just okay. My sandwich was full of perfectly cooked prime rib with a flavorful au jus. The breading on the chicken strips was perfect—not spice-laden but light and crispy. My younger, who has a habit of picking at her food, finished an entire half of the sandwich (and my husband usually brags that among our group, he is the only member of the clean plate club). Save room for dessert! We ordered the key lime pie and it was perfect for splitting among the four of us.
A few notes
- I was impressed with the service. I didn’t once have to ask for a water refill, and the refills of soda were timed perfectly.
- My husband loves sweet tea. I’ve learned there’s a right way to make sweet tea and a wrong way. Charleston’s does it the right way.
- They have a nice drink and wine list. My girls were surprised I didn’t order a margarita, but opted for the Flirtini. For some reason I am drawn to drinks with Chambord. This one didn’t disappoint!
- Often we order two to three entrees to split among our family. It saves money and cuts down on food waste. The servings here are generous, making Charleston’s the perfect place for sharing.
- Another part of our meal that stood out was the freshness of the food. That it had been prepared fresh was obvious, and it’s food you can feel good about having your family eat.