Best of February in Kansas City
We love, love, love February in Kansas City... and not just because it marks a month of romantic ideas for couples and Valentine fun for kids... it is also a month of fabulous thought-provoking productions, amazing exhibits, and family fun!
Funville: What do you want to be?
Funville is a FREE Exhibit Feb. 10-May 6 at Crown Center. Will your child be a firefighter, a schoolteacher, a race car driver, or maybe, President of the United States? In FUNVILLE, children experience grown-up occupations in a kid friendly setting. Let them forecast the weather, perform magic, work in a barbershop or ride a tractor. Whatever they choose, the most important job in FUNVILLE is to have fun.
KU Women's Basketball
KU Women's Basketball (Allen Fieldhouse 1651 Naismith Drive, Lawrence, KS). Catch a game supporting KU Women's Basketball and making family memories... these upcoming games are especially fun for families:
February with KU Women's Basketball:
- February 10 at 7pm: KU vs. Oklahoma -Jayhawks for a Cure. In-game silent auction. Jay Days ($2 Hot dog, $2 Popcorn, $1 Fudge Bar)
- February 21 at 7pm: KU vs. Oklahoma State - 90s Night. 90s costume contest. $1 Hot Dogs. Granny Basketball at Halftime.
- February 27 at 7pm: KU vs. Iowa State - Senior Day. Fandemonium - Win prizes each timeout. Halftime Show.
The Original Harlem Globetrotters are on the road for their action packed tour! They will be in Kansas City in February! Catch the show Feb. 24 at 7pm at the Sprint Center or Feb. 24 at Noon and Feb. 25 at 2pm at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. A star-studded roster will have fans on the edge of their seats to witness the ball handling wizardry, basketball artistry and one-of-a-kind family entertainment that thrills fans of all ages. Join Globetrotter stars after the game where they will stay for an autograph, photograph and high five session for fans.
The Art of the Brick at Union Station
The Art of the Brick: at Union Station (30 W. Pershing, Kansas City, MO). "The Art of the Brick has inspired and thrilled audiences from Brazil to Australia, France to Russia and Taiwan to Spain. Now, experience this “Must See” exhibition at Union Station Kansas City. This first-ever art exhibition focused exclusively on the use of LEGO bricks as an art medium is one of those rare experiences nearly impossible to describe, but so easy to love. Massive and intimate. Brilliantly simple and complex all at once. Unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Over 100 arresting creations from the mind of a contemporary art genius." Read our review of The Art of the Brick here.
Störling DanceTheater's Underground
Underground Feb. 16 & 17 presented by Störling Dance Theater at the Muriel Kauffman Theatre /Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts (1601 Broadway, Kansas City, MO). Celebrate Störling Dance Theater’s 11th Anniversary of presenting UNDERGROUND in Kansas City! Don’t miss the performance that brings Kansas City together and was chosen as one of the “Top 10 Performance of the Decade!” – Paul Horsley, The Independent. Make UNDERGROUND a tradition for you and your family. The Underground Railroad told like never before! UNDERGROUND will capture your heart and revive your spirit.
Folly Kids Series
In February, catch Charlotte's Web showing Feb. 5 as part of the Folly Kids Series (300 West 12th Street, Kansas City, MO). Theatreworks’ production of Charlotte’s Web is based on E.B. White’s loving story of the friendship between a pig named Wilbur and a little gray spider named Charlotte. Wilbur has a problem: how to avoid winding up as pork chops! The Folly Kids Series offers fabulous educational shows throughout the school year for just $6/ticket.
Code Ninjas: Grand Opening
Code Ninjas Grand Opening Feb. 19 from 1-7pm. Code Ninjas, a coding center for kids ages 7 to 14, will open in February and invites the community to tour its new Game Development Center and enjoy face painting, games and other activities during the open house. Snacks and refreshments will be available. Come and go as your schedule allows.
Pancakes with Presidents at Mahaffie
Feb. 23 from 8:30-10am at Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop (make reservations at 913.971.5111). All ages welcome. Cost is $8/person ages 3 & up. Registration required. No walk registrations will be allowed the day of the event. Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop is one of our favorite historic sites. Enjoy pancakes in the Heritage Center with President George Washington and Abraham Lincoln! Admission includes one picture with the presidents, a craft and admission to Winter on the Farm!
CYT Kansas City presents Honk! Jr. and Shrek the Musical
CYT Kansas City presents family-friendly theater at affordable pricing. In February enjoy:
- Honk! Jr. Feb. 15-18: Ugly looks quite a bit different from his darling brothers and sisters. The other animals on the farm are quick to notice and point this out, despite his mother's protective flapping. Feeling rather foul about himself, the little fowl finds himself on an adventure of self-discovery, all the while unknowingly outwitting a very hungry Cat. Along the way, Ugly meets a whole flock of unique characters and finds out that being different is not a bad thing to be.
- Shrek: The Musical Feb. 22-25: "Once upon a time there was a little ogre named Shrek....." And thus begins the tale of an unlikely hero who finds himself on a life-changing journey alongside a wisecracking donkey and a feisty princess who resists her rescue. Throw in a short-tempered bad guy and a cookie with an attitude and over a dozen other fairy tale misfits, and you've got the kind of mess that calls for a real hero. Luckily, there is one on hand.... and his name is Shrek.
Visit Polar Pals at the Kansas City Zoo
The Kansas City Zoo is open year-round (except Jan. 1). (6800 Zoo Dr., KCMO. 816.513.5800 www.KansasCityZoo.org). Pack a picnic and bring it to the zoo! The Polar Bear Passage and the indoor Helzberg Penguin Plaza are our favorite attractions at the zoo, and both are indoor making a great winter outing. Winter at the zoo is great... you don't have to worry about bugs, heat, or crowds and it isn't crowded.Weather permitting enjoy a ride on the carousel or train for more fun.
Bonus: Visit the Zoo's Calendar to learn about Polar Bear and Penguin Overnights when visitors are invited to spend the night at the zoo and other special events year round!
February's Special Events at the Kansas City Zoo:
- Feb. 3 & 4: Cheetah Enrichment (Sat) and King and Gentoo Penguin March (Sat & Sun)
- Feb. 10: Kiss & Tail Adult Fundraising Event
- Feb. 10 & 11: Zootastik Learning- Who's Active When?, King and Gentoo Penguin March
- Feb. 17 & 18: Teddy Bear Clinic (Sat), Cheetah Enrichment, & King and Gentoo Penguin March
- Feb. 18: Volunteer Open House
- Feb. 24 & 25: Species Spotlight: Polar Bears & King and Gentoo Penguin March
Fun at Paradise Park
Paradise Park in Lee's Summit. Paradise Park is a favorite family fun center where there truly is something for everyone. From the Children's EduTainment Center with indoor play for little ones, to the arcades, gokarts, and rock wall and more for teens and adults - this is the place for families to play.
February Special Events at Paradise Park:
Foam Factory Pirate Ship: All Month. Ahoy, Matey! Arrrr you ready for adventure of the imagination? Battle the buccaneers across the foam factory to save the ship!
Football Fun Days: Sundays thru Superbowl Sunday: It’s a touchdown! Our Football Fundays are a total win-win for sports fans who want to keep score while the kids play. Paradise Park is the best place for football families with fanatics! Enjoy this winning combination of fun for families to watch the games and spend time with the kids. Our 15 TVs are mounted throughout the Park so you won’t miss a big game on any game day, all season long. You’ll even find your favorite family snacks and adult beverages at Paradise Café. Enjoy an afternoon of fun at Paradise Park this Sunday and score big with the whole family.
Pirate & Mermaid Party – Free!: Saturday, Feb. 10 from 11AM-2PM. Dress up to meet our pirate and mermaids. Join us for a jolly good day of giveaways, photo ops and legendary fun!
Pirate & Mermaid VIP Breakfast : Members - $7 plus tax. Nonmembers - $16 plus tax. Saturday, Feb. 10 from 9-10AM. Seating and space is limited so register now! Must be booked 5 days in advance. Includes: Seating for fabulous kid-friendly breakfast, exclusive meet and mingle with pirates and mermaids, photos and autographs, costume contest, giveaways, all-day Discovery Play & Foam Factory admission
Prince & Princess Party – Free!: Saturday, January 20 from 11AM-2PM. Let the fairytales begin! With a wave of our magic wand, you can feel like a real prince or princess. Join the make-believe fun as the enchanted magic unfolds at Paradise Park. Dress up for a royal day of giveaways, photos and whimsical fun all day at the meet and greet event. Free. No reservations needed.
Middle School Teen Night: Feb. 9 - Celebrate friendship on Valentine’s Day with unlimited indoor fun! The special deal for our middle-school aged teen guests this month includes an Unlimited MAX PAK, a $5 FUN CARD and a Personal PIZZA for ONLY $15! That is a SWEET DEAL!
The Secret of Courage
The Secret of Courage thru Feb. 11 at The Coterie (Level I at Crown Center). A world premiere production with magic and wonderment, the play begins with 13 year old Jack McCall learning some very bad news about his health. His best friend Waddy is not as concerned as he is, since you hear stories of people getting over this illness all the time. From there, reality blends with fantasy as Jack becomes convinced that he needs to find his way back to the magical park and the imaginary friends from his childhood. An elf named Pick along with an owl, a troll, and a ghost challenge Jack to an adventure to save the park from an evil imprisoned in a massive tree. But this adventure may not even be real, so what does facing this adversary in the park have to do with Jack’s sickness anyway?
Tuck Everlasting thru Feb. 27 - Apr. 5 at The Coterie (Level I at Crown Center). Over a century ago, the Tucks - Ma, Pa, and their sons Miles and Jesse - drank from a forest spring. Ever since, no one in the family has aged a bit. Now they have to live separately only to reunite once every 10 years because of rising suspicions when they never age. Now, young Winnie Foster is out exploring the woods, and she has accidentally discovered the Tuck family secret... which brings her to the question: Is living outside the rules of time a blessing or a curse?
Family Events at the National World War I Museum and Memorial
The National WWI Museum and Memorial (2 Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO). Within the museum walls below, however, lies one of the best historic sites in the Midwest, the National World War I Museum. With tremendous state-of-the-art exhibits telling the story of World War I and, more importantly, the soldiers and civilians of the era—their sacrifices, their journeys—this is one of Kansas City’s most important attractions.
February Special Events at The National WWI Museum and Memorial:
- Hands-On History: Every Saturday at 11am. History is brought to life in this family‑friendly program in which kids of all ages are invited to handle Great War artifacts.
Complimentary with paid admission.
- Complimentary Museum Tour: Every Thursday 2:30pm. Explore the Main Gallery with one of our knowledgeable Museum Guides on a tour. Space is limited on a first come, first serve basis. Sign-up on Thursdays at the Museum ticketing window. Complimentary with paid admission | Museum Main Gallery
- Day in the Life: Trench Warfare: Feb. 11. The Living History Volunteer Corps will be on site to share stories of the Great War era and make history come to life! This month they will focus on trench warfare during the war. Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about how this type of fighting influenced military strategies for both the Allied and Central Powers and ask questions of our Living History Volunteer Corps. FREE to the public | J.C. Nichols Auditorium Lobby
- Timelords & the Truce: Doctor Who Takes on WWI: Feb. 15 The 1914 Christmas Truce is cleverly intertwined with Doctor Who – but we don’t want to give spoilers. Come with your favorite companion and discover new WWI facts and how clever that madman in the blue box can be with a viewing of the last episode in the 2017 season. Cash bar/small plates begin at 6 p.m. FREE with RSVP | J.C. Nichols Auditorium
JCCC Performing Arts Center Shows
Enjoy live shows all season at JCCC Performing Arts Center (12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS). February's shows offer great shows for parents and educational shows for families.
February Shows at JCCC:
- Lara St. John, violin, and Matt Herskowitz, piano Feb. 11. In Lavuta, Lara St. John combined her knowledge of melodies with composers she knew and respected, and the project was born. It includes songs from Armenia, Palestine, the Jewish Diaspora, Russia, Macedonia, Serbia, Greece, Romania and Hungary.
- Charles Williams Trio Winterlude Series Feb.18. Native Kansas Citian Charles D. Williams has played piano for more than 40 years. He was a member of the award-winning Sumner Jazz Band that attended the Paris International Jazz Festival in 1972 and was judged to be “the best High School Band in the World.“
- Guitarra Flamenca Feb. 21. Ensemble Iberica presents a night of impassioned flamenco music featuring guitar virtuosos, Antonio Andrade and Miguel Sotelo direct from Seville, Spain.
- Complexions: Contemporary Ballet Feb. 24. Combining technical precision, power and passion, Complexions Contemporary Ballet transcends tradition in a groundbreaking mix of styles ranging from ballet to hip-hop. Led by former Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater virtuosos and So You Think You Can Dance alums Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson, the company is sure to dazzle and thrill with Rhoden’s fiercely kinetic choreography, daredevil dancing by superstar Richardson and company, and a hip soundtrack of pop, rock and classical anthems from Bach to Bowie.
Downtown Lee's Summit Chocolate Crawl
Chocolate Crawl for a Cause Feb. 3 from Noon to 2pm in Downtown Lee's Summit. Participating in the Chocolate Crawl for a Cause is a great way to get event discounts at many downtown stores while giving back to our downtown partners, Lee’s Summit Social Services. Bring canned goods to Got Art Gallery from 12pm until 2pm and get a Chocolate Crawl necklace and a full-size chocolate bar (while supplies last). The necklace allows you to take advantage of exclusive event discounts at participating downtown businesses…just follow the balloons!
Winter Sports: Skating, Skiing, and Sledding
- Crown Center Ice Terrace 2425 Grand Blvd, Kansas City, MO. 816.274.8411. Kansas City's original ice skating rink is open for its 45th season of great skating fun! Regular admission is $6, or free for adults over age 60 and children age 4 and under. Skate rental is $3, or skaters may bring their own. Hours: Sunday - Thursday, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. Friday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 11 p.m. Two-for-One Tuesdays! After 5 p.m., pay one full price admission and receive a second for FREE. (Skate rental not included, but it's just $3 per person.) Read our review and tips for Ice Skating at Crown Center.
- The Ice at Park Place 11565 Ash St, Leawood, KS. 913.663.2070
- Linden Square Ice Rink 602 NE 70th St., Gladstone, MO. 816.423.4092
Kansas City's Indoor Ice Skating Rinks:
- HCA Midwest Centerpoint Community Ice 19100 E Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO. 816.795.7577
- Kansas City Ice Center and Pavilion 19900 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS. 913.441.3033
- Line Creek Community Center Ice Rink 5940 NW Waukomis Dr., Kansas City, MO. 816.513.0760
- You can ski at the Snow Creek Ski Area in Weston or take the family to Colorado to enjoy Granby Ranch - with your KC Parent Coupon! They offer ski slopes, snowboarding, and lessons for beginners.
- Kansas City boasts many terrific sled hills all across the metro! Over the years, our loyal readers have shared their favorites providing this fabulous list of the Best Sled Hills in KC!
- Why We LOVE Winter Sports: In just one hour, you can burn 250 calories skating, skiing, or sledding and make countless memories, not to mention a few great photo ops, with the whole family!
- Tip: Check the KC Parent Coupon page before you go for our current deals!
Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides
When, Where, What: Snowy Weekends at the Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop (1200 Kansas City Rd, Olathe, KS). Rides are offered on weekends if there is snow. Be certain to call ahead at 913.971.5111 to verify or visit Mahaffie's website for details.
Why We LOVE Sleigh Rides at Mahaffie: Mahaffie is one of our favorite historic sites in the metro with wonderful interpretive programs throughout the year (read our review of Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop here), but we hold an extra special fondness for the beloved century's old winter tradition of horse-drawn sleigh rides.