Kansas City's Summer Reading Programs
Books open new worlds to children. This summer encourage your child to cultivate a love of reading with these incentive programs from local libraries and businesses!
Note: This list may not be reproduce online or in print without permission from KC Parent. If you have additions to this guide, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kansas City Library Summer Reading Programs:
Reading and listening to books and stories will open children’s minds to the fun of adventure with "Build a Better World," the theme of the 2017 Library Summer Reading Programs across the Kansas City area.
- May 22 - July 31, 2017, Participants will have three ways to earn points toward prizes through a new, easy-to-use online tracking system.
- Mid-Continent Public Library’s signature program has been redesigned as a Summer Learning Program. This program promotes reading and encourages creative exploration, active skill-building, and critical thinking all necessary to “Build a Better World,” which is our 2017 program theme. In keeping with this year’s theme, MCPL has put a fun, summertime twist on STEAM. This year’s SLP activities and programs fall into these categories: S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math, Sports,Teamwork, Environment, Architecture, Me! (self-development)\
- Explorers (birth - 5 years), Challengers (6 - 12 years), or Voyagers (13 - 19 years)
- Participants can earn 250 points per level and up to 1,000 points total by doing any combination of the following: Reading! Explorers earn 10 points per book. Challengers and Voyagers earn 1 point per minute read. Completing engaging, age-appropriate STEAM-related tracks of activities at home. By completing five activities in a learning track, participants will earn 25 points. A complete list of learning track activities is available through the SLP online tracking system as of May 22. Attending selected programs at MCPL branches throughout the summer. Participants will receive 25 points (up to 250 for the summer) when they log these programs into their online account.
- May 22-August 18
- All young readers (going into 5th grade and younger) are invited to pick up a summer reading log at either Olathe library beginning Monday, May 22. You may pick one up anytime through the summer. Use the log to keep track of all your summer reading. Bring your reading log back to the library anytime between July 31 - August 18 to receive a free paperback book!
- May 26- Aug. 1
- Kids (ages 12 & under) Track the activities you complete on the Activity Log. Complete as many as 4 cards throughout the summer to earn rewards! Attend exciting Library events.
- Teens (Ages 13-18) Read any book and share a review in order to win prizes.
- Starts May 30
- Children as young as 1 and teens up to 18 may prizes including T-Shirts, Lego toys, Books and more. The prizes are awarded based on the amount of reading done by each child.
- May 30 – July 31
- Kids and Teens: Track your reading and library activity on a log and earn points. Every 10 points you’ll get a prize including free books, items from the treasure box, Library Bucks, and grand prize entries. There will be a program in June and one in July, so you have plenty of opportunities to read and win!
- Adults can participate too! Just read and log 5 books each month to receive a prize.
- To sign up for the KCKPL Summer Reading Program, visit www.kckpl.org.
- Meet goals by July 27.
- Children and teens up to twelfth grade. Each branch will also have weekly storytimes with crafts and activities. Readers who complete the summer reading program goals by the July deadline will receive a new book of their choice! For pre-readers the goal is 25 read-to-me books while readers through fifth grade are encouraged to complete 10 books on their own. For those in grades six through twelve, the goal is to complete 5 books.
Throughout our Summer Reading Program, kids (birth-5th grade) are encouraged to read and log minutes to earn rewards. Complete five logs to get a ticket to our summer reward party at Macken Park, where we'll have food, prizes, and lots of entertainment! For each log you complete after Log 5, you'll earn a chance in a raffle drawing. Throughout the program, the library will offer weekly storytimes, tween programs, and special family programming.
Summer Reading Programs at Kansas City area Businesses:
Summer Reading is also encouraged at businesses across the Kansas City area. Kids earn terrific prizes and incentives after completing their reading goals at these businesses:
God reveals Himself in Scripture, and as you explore His Word, you'll be amazed and discover more of Him. Join us on our 2017 Summer Reading Quest with Bibleman, June 1 to Aug. 31. We want to help you and your family promote the love of reading in your home as well as encouraging the love of God's Word through reading His Scripture. This program is geared toward grades 1 through 6, but all are welcome to join in the adventure.
Read six books over the course of the summer and memorize six Scripture verses.
Turn in a completed summer reading journal at your local LifeWay store to earn a free book and a new free Bible.
May 16 - Sept. 5
The Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program is here to help you on your way, encouraging you to read books of your own choosing and earn a FREE book, simply by following these three easy steps: Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal (English or Español). Tell us which part of the book is your favorite, and why. Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 16th and September 5th, 2017. Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of the journal.
- Children may earn 10 free tokens every time they read everyday for 2 full weeks. Download this and more rewards charts for good habits at https://www.chuckecheese.com/deals-offers/rewards-calendars
- June & July, redeem by Aug. 31
- Read 15 minutes a day and log your minutes. Have your parent or guardian initial each week. Once you’ve reached 300 or more minutes, bring your log to your local HPB to claim your Bookworm Bucks on or before August 31, 2017.
- Starts May 8.
- Kids create an online account and keep track of their reading minutes to earn prizes. As they complete weekly reading challenges on the site, they spin the Prize Wheel to win digital prizes including eBook & Audio Book chapters and virtual badges.
Sylvan Book Adventure
- Free reading incentive program for K-8 students. They read books, take a comprehension quiz and earn points. They redeem points for prizes.