Garfield: The Musical with Cattitude Review
This summer's production at The Coterie, "Garfield: The Musical with Cattitude," features everyone's favorite sarcastic orange cat and his litter of friends. For fans of the classic comic strip, movies and cartoons, this show pays homage to all of Garfield's most famous gags from his pure hatred for Mondays (the show opens with his birthday... on a Monday), to his love of lasagna and singing on the fence posts with his pals. Sticking closely to the original source material, The Coterie designed sets, costumes, and music reminiscent of the comic strip style.
For this show, my youngest daughter was unable to attend (caught a cold), so my niece joined us. Little did I know, she's an avid Garfield fan - and as a fan, when asked what she thought of the show, she said it was "Awesome!" For children who've read Garfield books from the library, watched the films, or caught the cartoon on Netflix, they'll be right at home with the humor in the show. We were sitting near two young boys (probably around 4 or 5 years old) and they were laughing uproariously at the gags.
Before the show begins, children are asked if they know any exercises and they practice so they'll be ready to participate in a "live exercise party" during the show. The younger children really enjoy this chance to interact with the show.
The cast of Garfield featured Steven Eubank as Garfield (remembered for many roles at The Coterie including Charlie Brown and Skipper in Madagascar), Darrington Clark as Odie (remembered for many Coterie roles including Kowalski in Madagascar and Toad in Year with Frog and Toad), Lauren Tayler as Nermal, Andy Perkins as Jon Arbuckle, and Brianna Renee Woods as Arlene. Each of the actors played their part well, embodying the characters we all know and love from the Saturday morning cartoons.
Just like the Garfield comics, this show highlights Garfield's signature sarcasm, lots of classic humor, and adds in some musical numbers, tap dances, and gags for the audience's enjoyment. Garfield's universal appeal paired with new songs and dances creates a fun-filled summer show for the entire family.
The show is all about a favorite pet (and his friends), so this summer Coterie partnered with Wayside Waifs to offer a variety of free performance extras over the summer, including on-site adoptable pet viewings and post-show humane education discussions.
Take advantage of these free "extras" being offered during the run of Garfield (with paid admission):
- Wayside Waifs Adoptable Animals Meet and Greet: A FREE meet and greet with adoptable animals from Wayside Waifs on site at The Coterie. Friday, June 16 at 7pm & Tuesday, July 18 at 11am
- Post-Performance Q&A : A FREE post-performance question and answer period with members of the company. Saturday, June 17 at 2pm & Sunday, June 18 at 2pm
- Cast Photo Op & Autograph Session: A FREE post-performance meet and greet with members of the cast. Fridays at 7pm: June 23, 30, July 7, 14, 21, 28, & August 4
- Wayside Waifs Post-Performance Conversation on em-PAW-thy
- A FREE post-show conversation about practicing em-PAW-thy toward all living beings, led by Wayside Waifs' Humane Educator and their furry companion. Thursday, July 6 at 1pm; Sunday, July 23 at 2pm; & Wednesday, August 2 at 1pm
- Interpreted performance in American Sign Language: Saturday, July 8 at 2pm
Tip: While you're there, head over to see Thomas & Friends™: Explore the Rails (a FREE exhibit at Crown Center), or play at Legoland Discovery Center, greet animals at Sea Life, or create art at Hallmark's FREE Kaleidoscope. Or, head next door to Union Station to enjoy time at Science City, visit their Mummies exhibit, or watch a film on the Extreme Screen.
Garfield: The Musical with Cattitude is showing at The Coterie thru August. 6. Tickets range from $12-17. Call 816.474.6552 for reservations.
Preview these clips from the show: