Best of February in Kansas City
We love, love, love February in Kansas City... and not just because it marks a month of romantic ideas for couples and Valentine fun for kids... it is also a month of fabulous thought-provoking productions, amazing exhibits, and family fun!
Störling DanceTheater's Underground
- Details: Underground Feb. 3 & 4 presented by Störling Dance Theater at the Muriel Kauffman Theatre /Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts (1601 Broadway, Kansas City, MO)
- Why We Love It: This show has become an important tradition for the Kansas City community. Störling Dance Theater’s Underground has been called “one of the most vivid, heartfelt, and theatrically astute pieces of dance theater ever to grace a Kansas City stage,” (Kansas City Star). Choreographed by the duo of Mona Störling-Enna and Tobin James, Underground is a visual tapestry based on true stories of the Underground Railroad. With a cast of more than 50, featuring the talented artists of Störling Dance Theater, the production of this dramatic historical depiction has been hailed as a cultural gift, making it the perfect celebration of the Black History Month and a beautiful portrayal of the American Spirit. For its ninth consecutive year, UNDERGROUND will inspire and challenge, awaken and encourage – embraced by a wide and diverse audience from across Kansas City and beyond.
- Details: Feb. 3-5 at the Sprint Center
- Why We Love It: Monster Jam® roars into the 2017 season with a points-based series, showcasing the best lineup of Monster Jam vehicles that deliver what fans want to see most…more trucks, more racing, more freestyle, more donuts, more wheelies, more action!
Hana's Suitcase: A Holocaust Mystery at The Coterie
- Details: Hana's Suitcase thru Feb. 12 at The Coterie.
- Why We Love It: Past and present mysteries come together in this captivating true story spanning 70 years and crisscrossing three continents. Fumiko Ishioka, a Japanese Holocaust educator, and her students set out to track down information about a suitcase from Auschwitz. It is a worldwide search for information about its owner, Hana Brady, whose fate is pieced together from her suitcase and artifacts. Hana’s story reaches through time into the lives of the young Japanese students in a Holocaust story like no other - providing a contemporary global perspective and a fascinating history of love and tragedy from Hana’s courageous life story. A National Endowment for the Arts winning project from The Coterie.
Pirates and Mermaids
- Details: Feb. 1-28 at Paradise Park.
- Why We Love It: Ahoy, Matey! Arrrr you ready for adventure? Join us for this wildly fun time when our Foam Factory becomes the Paradise Park Pirate Ship for the entire month of February! You’ll battle the buccaneers across the foam factory to save the ship and rescue the mermaids! In addition, you can dress up to meet our pirates and mermaids on Saturday, February 18th from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Join us for a jolly good day of giveaways, photo ops and legendary fun!
Side by Side by Sondheim at the KC Rep
- When, Where, What: Side by Side by Sondheim thru Feb. 12 at KC Rep
- Why We LOVE It: Nominated for both London’s Olivier Award and Broadway’s Tony Award for Best Musical, Side by Side by Sondheim celebrates the music and lyrics of Pulitzer, Tony, and Academy Award-winning Stephen Sondheim, arguably the most important musical theater composer in American history. Side By Side ran in London and New York for well over a thousand performances, making it one of the most successful musical revues of all time.
FREE Under the Sea Adventure at Crown Center
- Details: Under the Sea Adventure from Feb. 11 – May 7, Crown Center. Open during Crown Center shopping hours. FREE. 816.274.8444
- Why We Love It: This FREE hands-on exhibit is a great place for indoor play on a cold winter's day! Plunge into a fun, creative environment in this free exhibit that will delight kids who love to explore the deep blue sea. Discover buried treasure in a sunken pirate ship, ride a dolphin and seahorses, paddle your way to the mermaid's house, climb inside the mouth of a whale, explore in the submarine, and many more aquatic adventures. It's fathoms of fun, and it's totally free!
Curious George at Theatre for Young America
- Details: Feb. 14 - Mar. 25 at Theatre for Young America
- Why We Love It: The series of books by H. A. and Margret Ray starring the loveable monkey Curious George first appeared in America in the 1940s. His popularity continues today. This comical dramatization is based on several of the early Curious George books, including the very first one in which The Man With The Yellow Hat captures George and takes him to a big city to live in a zoo. George promptly escapes and launches a series of adventures that include getting a job, going into outer space in a rocket ship, a stay in a hospital, and a hilarious encounter with spaghetti.
Pancakes with Presidents at Mahaffie
- Details: Feb. 25 from 8:30-10am at Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop (make reservations at 913.971.5111). All ages welcome. Cost is $8/person ages 3 & up. Registration required. No walk registrations will be allowed the day of the event.
- Why We Love It: Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop is one of our favorite historic sites. Enjoy pancakes in the Heritage Center with President George Washington and Abraham Lincoln! Admission includes one picture with the presidents, a craft and admission to Winter on the Farm!
Visit the Penguins, Polar Bear, and animals at the Kansas City Zoo
- When, Where, What: The Kansas City Zoo is open year-round. (6800 Zoo Dr., KCMO. 816.513.5800 www.KansasCityZoo.org).
- Why We LOVE It: The popularity of penguins in Kansas City has exploded with the opening of the state-of-the-art Helzberg Penguin Plaza at the Kansas City Zoo! Winter is the perfect time to celebrate our favorite feathered friends from Antarctica . The Kansas City Zoo is one of our favorite year-round attractions, and with the Penguin Exhibit, Polar Bear Passage, Tropics and Discovery Barn all near the entrance and all with indoor exhibits, a winter outing to the zoo is more fun than ever!
- Tip: Mark your calendar for these fun February Events at the Zoo: February 4 & 5 - Penguin March. February 11 & 12 - Zootastik Learning Fest — Animal Locomotion. Penguin March. February 11 - Kiss & Tail Valentine’s Event (Parents only). February 18 - Teddy Bear Clinic. February 18 & 19 - Penguin March. February 25 & 26 - Species Spotlight — Polar Bears. February 25 & 26 - Penguin March. And more on the Zoo Calendar!
Winter Trout Stocking
- Details: Feb 22 at Johnson County Lakes (Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe, KS at 2:30pm, Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee Mission, KS at 3:45pm).
- Why We Love It: Watch as 1,600 lbs. of trout are stocked at Kill Creek Park Lake at 2:30 p.m. and 3,800 lbs. are stocked in Shawnee Mission Park Lake at 3:45 p.m. After the fish are stocked, both lakes will be closed to all fishing until the siren start at 8 a.m. on Saturday, February 25, heralds the beginning of the 2017 trout season.
JCCC Performing Arts Center February Performances
- Details: Shows all month long Johnson County Performing Arts Series.
- Why We Love It: JCCC brings a variety of shows to the stage year-round. This February, take in one of these great productions. Feb. 3: RICHTER UZUR DUO: BRAD RICHTER, GUITAR AND VIKTOR UZUR, CELLO. Feb. 4: CLASSIC ALBUMS LIVE LED ZEPPELIN II. Feb. 7: 'BROWN BEAR, BROWN BEAR AND OTHER TREASURED STORIES BY ERIC CARLE'. Feb. 10: 'MARRIAGE IS FUNNY'. Feb. 17: THE FIVE IRISH TENORS: 'A TRIBUTE TO JOHN MCCORMACK'. Feb. 18: BACH ARIA SOLOISTS: 'L’HISTOIRE DU SOLDAT'. Feb. 22: AN EVENING WITH DEEPAK CHOPRA 'YOU ARE THE UNIVERSE'. Feb. 24: 'THE RIVER': ETHEL WITH GUEST ARTIST AND NATIVE AMERICAN MUSICIAN, ROBERT MIRABAL. Feb. 25: BODYTRAFFIC: CONTEMPORARY DANCE. Feb. 26: ALATURKA. Feb. 28: 'Odd Squad Live!'.
Pompeii:The Exhibition at Union Station
- When, Where, What: Pompeii: The Exhibition at Union Station
- Why We LOVE It: We can't wait for this educational, interactive, and inspiring exhibit at Union Station. Featuring nearly 200 artifacts — some never before seen in the United States—including vibrant frescoes, detailed mosaics, lifelike statues and precious personal objects,Pompeii: The Exhibition tells the story of a city hidden from view and forgotten for centuries until its rediscovery over 250 years ago.
Over the Rainbow: Toys from the Land of Oz
- When, Where, What: thru Aug. 20 at the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures.
- Why We LOVE It: Published in 1900, L. Frank Baum’s Wizard of Oz is considered America’s first fairy tale and it holds a special place in the hearts of Kansans and Kansas Citians alike. The story of Dorothy’s fantastical journey through the land of Oz has enticed generations. The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures is one of our favorite whimsical attractions with toys bringing back memories for generations. The newest exhibit explores the original literary story of The Wizard of Oz and its many retellings, including the 1939 Technicolor film, Return to Oz, and The Wiz, through playthings, first edition books, and original costumes at The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures.
Winter Sports: Skating, Skiing, and Sledding
Indoor Ice Skating
- Silverstein Eye Center Community Ice 19100 E. Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO, 816.795.7577
- Ice Sports Arena 19900 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS, 913.441.3033
- Line Creek Community Center Ice Rink 5940 NW Waukomis Dr., Kansas City, MO, 816.513.0760
Outdoor Ice Skating
- Crown Center Ice Terrace Crown Center, 2500 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO
- Linden Square NE 70th & N. Cherry, Gladstone, MO
- The Rink at Burlington Square 6109 NW 63rd Ter., Kansas City, MO, 816.249.2600
- The Ice at Park Place 11565 Ash St., Leawood, KS
- You can ski at the Snow Creek Ski Area in Weston or take the family to Colorado to enjoy Granby Ranch - with your KC Parent Coupon! They offer ski slopes, snowboarding, and lessons for beginners.
- Kansas City boasts many terrific sled hills all across the metro! Over the years, our loyal readers have shared their favorites providing this fabulous list of the Best Sled Hills in KC!
- Why We LOVE Winter Sports: In just one hour, you can burn 250 calories skating, skiing, or sledding and make countless memories, not to mention a few great photo ops, with the whole family!
- Tip: Check the KC Parent Coupon page before you go for our current deals!
Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides
- When, Where, What: Snowy Weekends at the Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop (1200 Kansas City Rd, Olathe, KS). Rides are offered on weekends if there is snow. Be certain to call ahead at 913.971.5111 to verify or visit Mahaffie's website for details.
- Why We LOVE Sleigh Rides at Mahaffie: Mahaffie is one of our favorite historic sites in the metro with wonderful interpretive programs throughout the year (read our review of Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop here), but we hold an extra special fondness for the beloved century's old winter tradition of horse-drawn sleigh rides.