Best of May in Kansas City: 2014
May in Kansas City... the end of the school year, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Train Rides, Concerts, Celebrations, Festivals and more. Don't miss these great places to enjoy this May in KC!
The Discovery of King Tut
- Details: at Union Station (30 W. Pershing KC, MO.)
- Why We LOVE It: This never before assembled complete recreation of King Tut’s Tomb and Treasure is making its North American debut in Kansas City. In this breathtaking exhibition, you will learn about and walk in the footsteps of the 1922 discovery of the most significant ancient Egyptian archeological site imaginable. Explore the tomb’s treasures as they were at the moment of discovery. Marvel at more than 1,000 brilliant objects, filling nearly 20,000 square feet. Listen as Howard Carter tells his story of mystery and adventure (audio tour included with every ticket purchase).
- Details: Sat & Sun at 2pm May-Oct, and Sat at 11am (June - Aug) aboard the Belton, Grandview & KC Railroad Co. (502 Walnut, Belton, MO). The Belton, Grandview and Kansas City Railroad Co. is a short line passenger railroad and demonstration museum in Belton, Missouri, just south on US Hwy. 71 from the Kansas City Metro Area. The BG&KC offers excursions on our line running south from Belton on a 5 mile, 45 minute round trip. We are an all volunteer, nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving rail travel and railroading.
- Why We LOVE It: All Aboard! The young, and the young-at-heart, LOVE trains... the charm, the fun memories and nostalgia. This summer, ride the rails with the Belton, Grandview & Kansas City Railroad. The organization is a non-profit volunteer organization run by volunteers like John, who happily tells every visitor his pay is the smile on the kids' faces... and do they ever smile!
Brookside Art Annual
- When, Where, What: May 2-4, The Brookside Art Annual (63rd and Brookside Blvd, KCMO) is a family-friendly art fair. Visit www.brooksidekc.org for more information. No admission fees. 816.523.5553
- Why We LOVE It: Brookside, just minutes from the Plaza, is home to several of our favorite shops, including: Brookside Toy & Science, Reading Reptile, The New Dime Store, and Stuff, one of Kansas City's Best Parks, Loose Park, and a wonderful Farmers' Market on Saturdays. It is also host of one of our favorite Art Festivals! Kansas City hosts some of the best Art Festivals in the nation and we love them all, but this particular festival is especially family friendly. The Brookside Art Annual features art work from local and national artists, terrific children's activities, live music in the evenings, and food from local restaurants.
KC Parent Day at Hoglund Ballpark
- When, Where, What: May 3rd is KC Parent Day at Hoglund Ballpark: Mention KC Parent Day at the Hoglund Ballpark ticket window to receive a Buy 1 Get 1 Ticket FREE special! Also, be sure to bring your blankets and join us on the field post game for a special movie night showing Sandlot!
- Why We LOVE It: It's time for baseball! The family favorite spring and summer tradition is a great way to celebrate May and root for local athletes.
Sheep Shearing Days
- When, Where, What: May 3, Missouri Town 1855. It’s Spring and the flock of sheep at Missouri Town will be sheared of their winter coat. Fiber artists will demonstrate the complete process of shearing, washing, carding, dying, spinning, weaving and knitting. Take a step back in time and enjoy these important skills of our ancestors. Adults, $5.00; Youth 5-13 and Seniors, $3.00; Under 5, Free . 816.503.4860 www.jacksongov.org
- Why We LOVE It: When we first attended Missouri Town's Sheep Shearing Day, my first thought was, "I wish they would rename this event....it is MUCH more than Sheep Shearing and MUCH better than the name suggests!" It is "Sheep Shearing Day" because the focus of the day is on the fiber arts (shearing, dying, spinning, and weaving wool), but the festivities included many more fun and educational activities and our only regret after three hours at Missouri Town was that we didn't have MORE time to explore the village! We can't wait to go back ! Read our review of Sheep Shearing Days.
Kansas City Ballet presents Cinderella
- When, Where, What: Cinderella presented May 9 - 18 at the Kansas City Ballet
- Why We LOVE It: Cinderella is a magical celebration of dreams fulfilled and true love’s triumph. Victoria Morgan’s beautiful choreography accompanied by Prokofiev’s captivating music will bring this enchanting story to life. Enjoy a special twist on this favorite fairy tale where the characters are sure to delight. The Fairy Godmother, the pumpkin that becomes a carriage, fairies weaving spells, the handsome prince, the glass slipper, the clock striking 12 o’clock, and of course, the wicked stepmother and riotous, bumbling stepsisters all come together to tell this beautiful story. Featuring the Kansas City Symphony, this classic tale is filled with the sights and sounds of true beauty.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
- When, Where, What: Kansas Speedway (400 Speedway Blvd Kansas City , KS). NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: May 9, 2014. See the tough trucks of NASCAR race at night at Kansas Speedway in the inaugural NASCAR night race! Parking at Kansas Speedway is free, and fans can bring in a soft-sided cooler filled with their favorite food and beverage. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series: May 10, 2014. See the first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at night at Kansas Speedway! This is the first of two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Kansas Speedway in 2014. See the best in racing compete at this premier facility, located in the heart of the Midwest. Parking at Kansas Speedway is free, and fans can bring in a soft-sided cooler filled with their favorite food and beverage.
- Why We LOVE It: A day at the races enjoy Kansas Speedway is a great family experience for die-hard NASCAR fans and newcomers alike.
National Miniature Golf Day
- When, Where, What: May 10 at Cool Crest. Cool Crest will celebrate National Miniature Golf Day The first 100 guests at the park to buy a Single Game, 2-Game Ticket or Super Saturday Pass* will get a FREE Mini Golf Season Pass! That's a $59.99 Value for FREE! Plus, enjoy the Huge Mini Golf Season Pass Sale all day and get 50% off - pay only $30 to play Mini Golf for an entire year! Play All Day for a Two-Game Ticket Price!. 816.358.0088 www.coolcrest.com
- Why We LOVE It: Miniature Golf is one of the most fun ways to spend a day playing together as a family and Cool Crest is the prettiest mini-golf course in KC! Read about our Day at Cool Crest for the inside scoop on this popular attraction.
Sprint Family Fun Day: Superheroes
- When, Where, What: This Year's Sprint Family Fun Days begin on May 10 from 11am-3pm at KC Power and Light District. Sprint Family Fun Days are offered on the 2nd Saturday of the Month May-Oct. Admission is FREE! The MAY Theme is SUPERHEROES! Celebrate your children's favorite heroes - whether it's our local firefighters and police officers or a fictional hero wearing a cape Free children's entertainment includes: Live music by The Doo Dads Other activities include: Castle Moonwalk*, Face Painters,* Arts and Crafts, Putty-making*, Slides*, Velcro Wall*, Caricature Artist*, Hovercraft* and More! Learn about Magnetic Powers, Turning Water to Ice and more with Mad Science Live music by The Doo Dads Dress your little ones as their favorite superhero, and they receive a special gift Remember - ALL SPRINT FAMILY FUN DAYS attendees receive $2 parking at the KC Live and Main Street (next to Cosentino's Market) garages - Just tell the attendant you are coming to Family Fun Days in the Power & Light District *Tickets may apply for premium activities. Carnival tickets may be purchased at the Ticket Booth located on Walnut Street at 14th Street. Cash only. Admission into the festival is free. All ages welcome. Tickets are only 2-for-$1 or 12-for-$5.
- Why We LOVE It: Live music, puppets, art... what's not to love? The series kicks off in May with an Imagination theme full of fun activities for the entire family!
Happy Mother's Day
- When, Where, What: Kansas City's attractions and businesses are rolling out the red carpet for Mom all month long. Read our Calendar for great events throughout the month, then check out this inspiration for Mother's Day in Kansas City.
- Why We LOVE It: Making gifts for mom at Paint, Glaze and Fire. Enjoying brunch at Powell Gardens or the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. A day of memories at the Kansas City Zoo.... these are just a few of the traditions and ideas in our guide to Mother's Day in Kansas City.
Paul Mesner Puppet Shows
- Details: Paul Mesner Puppets April schedule features 2 shows! www.paulmesnerpuppets.org/calendar.html at two locations (Paul Mesner Studio 1006 Linwood Blvd Kansas City, MO. & Glenwood Arts Theatre 9575 Metcalf Overland Park, KS.)
- The Dinosaur Show : thru May 10. No bones about it – The Dinosaur Show will tickle your funny fossil and stimulate your imagination. Paul Mesner Puppets digs into the past to bring the dinosaurs to life, using hand, rod, shadow and body puppets in a prehistoric tale. The play explains scientific facts of how dinosaurs became extinct and includes a few whimsical and improbable theories. The cameo appearance of Dr. Dino Sawyer is sure to entertain with a fascinating look at what was and what might have been.
- Why We LOVE It: Paul Mesner Puppets presents creative and delightful shows enjoyed by generations of children in Kansas City. Now, they perform in two locations making it even easier for local families to enjoy imaginative entertainment.
School House Rock Live
- When, Where, What: School House Rock Live at The Coterie thru May 18.
- Why We LOVE It: We grew up loving "School House Rock" and as parents, we love the creativity The Coterie presents in their shows... this is going to be a winner! The award-winning musical teaches history, grammar, math, science, and government through clever, tuneful songs, instructing a whole new generation to “Unpack Your Adjectives” and meet up at “Conjunction Junction” to add some “Interjections!” Fun & educational - a win-win!
Rock 'n Roll at Jiggle Jam
- When, Where, What: Jiggle Jam, Kansas City's annual Family Music Festival giggles, jiggles, and wiggles into KC Memorial Day Weekend! Saturday, May 24th, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sunday, May 25th, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Crown Center (2500 Grand Blvd., KCMO). ADMISSION: $10 presale. $15 at the gate. $18 Weekend Pass (online only). Under 2 free
- Why We LOVE It:The annual Jiggle Jam Family Music Fest a weekend of giggles, wiggles and jiggles comes to Kansas City each Memorial Day weekend bringing generations and communities together to experience live music and educational activities in a fun and positive atmosphere that the entire family can enjoy. Featuring over 25 different bands and entertainers on multiple stages, A Bouncy Land, arts and crafts, interactive workshops and SO much more, Jiggle Jam is THE ultimate family destination for entertainment, learning and family fun! Last year over 30,000 parents, kids, grandparents and friends bounced into Crown Center to celebrate last year. Kid Rockers, both local and national, present an incredible family music festival that's a rockin' good time for everyone
Celebration at the Station
- When, Where, What: Celebration at the Station May 25, at 8pm at Union Station (30 W. Pershing, KCMO). Bank of America Celebration at the Station is the largest FREE Memorial Day Weekend event in the Midwest. The Kansas City Symphony, led by Music Director Michael Stern, performs patriotic favorites against the backdrop of Kansas City's historic Union Station. The event concludes with the most blazing fireworks display of the year! The Kansas City Symphony is grateful to Bank of America for making this gift to our city possible. Coolers, blankets and lawn chairs welcome! Please no glass containers or pets.
- Why We Love It: Celebration at the Station is a wonderful patriotic celebration as Kansas City gathers to pay tribute to Veterans and celebrate freedom at a marvelous outdoor concert. The Grand Finale of the evening is a magnificent fireworks display behind Liberty Memorial choreographed to patriotic music and a 21-gun salute to Veterans. Pack a picnic, or buy food from vendors, bring lawn chairs and bottle water, and prepare to wave your flags and cheer as Kansas City celebrates America, freedom, and what Memorial Day is really all about!
Cinderella presented by Miller Marley Youth Ballet
- When, Where, What: Cinderella presented by Miller Marley Youth Ballet at Yardley Hall Thetare Johnson County Community College May 31 & June 1 at 6pm
- Why We Love It: Cinderella is a timeless children’s ballet is presented by the Miller Marley Youth Ballet and Youth Ballet 2. Act One will consist of seven original and classical ballet selections chosen to showcase the versatility of our young ballet dancers. In Act Two our dances will present a condensed version of the magical story of Cinderella told through movement. This show will run two hours with a twenty minute intermission. This is a family friendly production the entire family will enjoy.
Shop at Kansas City's Farmers' Markets!
- When, Where, What: Kansas City's Farmers' Markets start opening ALL Month long! With over 30 markets to choose from, ranging from small to large all across the metro, there is something for the locavore in all of us. Check out our Guide to Kansas City Farmers' Markets and read great tips for buying local farm fresh produce and discover a Farmers' Market near you.
- Why We LOVE It: We're fortunate to have so many terrific Farmers' Markets in Kansas City to choose from. If you want to eat organic, fresh, locally grown produce, or you are looking for plants for your own garden, or local honey, Amish baked goods, or even live animals... Kansas City's Farmers' Markets have it all! Several even boast live music and entertainment. This is an excellent family outing on a Spring Saturday... you have fun and finish a chore all at once!
A Day at the Lake
- When, Where, What: You can fish year-round at one of Kansas City's great Fishing Spots, or enjoy the Kids Fishing Derbies across the metro all month long! Then, Kansas City's Swim Beaches open Memorial Day Weekend for a day of memories swimming at the lake!
- Why We LOVE It: Introduce your kids to the sport of fishing and enjoy a hobby that will last a lifetime. If you're lucky, you may even enjoy a great dinner out of the deal too!