10 Waterfalls in Kansas City
Let's Go Chasin' Waterfalls
Rock and Waterfall Garden at Powell Gardens
One of the things I love most about living in Kansas City is the abundance of natural beauty to be enjoyed. There is something magical and dreamy about exploring nature, hiking trails, and discovering waterfalls. This is your guide to TEN Waterfalls in the Kansas City area. If you know of another great waterfall to add to our list, let us know!
#1: Rock and Waterfall Garden at Powell Gardens
- Where: Powell Gardens 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50 Kingsville, MO. 816.697.2600 (article feature photo)
- About: One of the loveliest gardens at Powell Gardens, the Rock & Waterfall Garden is a photographer's dream! With a vibrant display of blooming flowers and the pleasant melody of rolling water, this is one of the most peaceful spots at the garden.
- Tip: Read our Powell Gardens Blog Post before your visit!
#2: Waterfall Park in Merriam
- Where: 5191 Merriam Dr. Merriam, KS. (pictured)
- About: The 15 acre park features an access point to the Turkey Creek Streamway Trail, a scenic walking path, and practice fields.
- Nearby: KC Strings
#3: Waterfall Park in Independence
- Where: 4501 S Bass Dr. Independence, MO. 816.325.7375
- About: The 18-acre park, near Bass Pro Shops in Independence, is nestled in a wooded area overlooking a lake and waterfalls, featuring a fantastic playground, small rock wall, small lake, walking trails, picnic tables, restrooms, and the scenic backdrop of a waterfall. Playing at Waterfall Park is an escape to the woods right in the midst of the city.
- Nearby: Cool Crest
#4: Waterfall in The Westin Crown Center
- Where: The Lobby of The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center 1 E Pershing Rd, Kansas City, MO.816.474.4400
- About: As our only indoor waterfall on this list, The Westin's waterfall is perhaps one of the most famous in the metro. The limestone bluff with a rock garden and 60‑foot waterfall is the centerpiece begging to be photographed. Walk The Link to Union Station or Crown Center for a day of fun!
- Nearby: Crown Center, Legoland Discovery Center, Sea Life Kansas City, Kaleidoscope, Science City at Union Station
#5: Waterfall at Watkins Mill State Park
- Where: Watkins Mill State Park 26600 Park Road North Lawson, MO. 816.580.3387. You may see the seasonal waterfall from an accessible scenic overlook deck approximately 2,000 feet north of the swim beach.
- About: Frequently confused for Watt's Mill (below), Watkins Mill State Park is a must-see destination in the area. "Many of the buildings that Waltus Watkins spent half a century building – including an elegant home and a three-story woolen mill – have been preserved to give visitors a sense of life in the 1870s. The mill is the only 19th century textile mill in the United States with its original machinery still intact. The site's visitor center offers an introduction to the Watkins family and their many business ventures." - source http://www.mostateparks.com/park/watkins-woolen-mill-state-historic-site
- Nearby: Tour Watkins Woolen Mill Historic Site and visit the many amenities at the State Park while you're there.
#6: Waterfall at Watt's Mill
- Where: 103rd and State Line, Kansas City, MO.
- About: Frequently confused for Watkins Mill (above), there once stood a grist mill called Fitzhugh’s Mill in 1832, run by George and Jonathan Fitzhugh. The family-operation ground corn and wheat using energy from the waterfalls near the Santa Fe Trail. In 1852, Anthony Watts purchased the business, which was taken over by his son Stubbins in 1865 and later his son Edgar. The water driven mill eventually fell into decay and stood at what is now the Watts Mill Shopping Center. You may see the waterfalls from Jasper's and Marco Polo's Italian Market.
- Nearby: US Toy
#7: Cedar Creek Falls
- Where: Lake Olathe (625 Lakeshore Dr., Olathe, KS) is also home to Cedar Creek Falls (143rd St./Dennis Ave.). (pictured)
- About: An overflow dam on Cedar Creek just above Lake Olathe, the waterfall flows year round, but like most waterfalls is prettiest after a heavy rain. Fishing, boating, hiking and playgrounds are available for fun.
- Nearby: Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farmstead and Ernie Miller Nature Center
#8: Waterfall at Ernie Miller Nature Center
- Where: 909 Hwy 7 Olathe, KS. 913.764.8580
- About: The nature center is home to a small stream and waterfall which you may view from the Wildlife Viewing Room, or the trails.
- Nearby: Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farmstead
#9: Waterfall at Parkville Nature Sanctuary
- Where: MO Highway 9 & 12th St. Parkville, MO
- About: The hiking trails are beautiful and scenic with waterfalls, a stream, wildlife, and serenity just 15 minutes from the city!
- Nearby: Parkville Mini Golf
#10: Tryst Falls Park
- Where: Route 92.Kearney, MO. 816.407.3400 (pictured)
- About: The natural falls offer a beautiful place for a picnic at the park! The park offers a playground, shelter houses and picnic tables.
- Nearby: Jesse James Farm & Museum and Mount Gilead Church and School
Did your favorite KC Area Waterfall make the list? We're always looking for new places to explore! Share your favorite waterfall destination with us!