Jun 3, 2012 100 Days of Summer in Kansas City
Inspiration and Tips for Summer Fun in Kansas City
Loose Park... Rose Day, Sprayground, and Family Memories
51st & Wornall, Kansas City, MO. Map of Loose Park.
Loose Park is famous in Kansas City for its rich history and its beauty. The park is 75-acres including a pond, shelters, playground, spray park, tennis courts, fields, walking paths, and the famous Laura Conyers Rose Garden.
The park was the site where Confederate forces were routed by Union forces during the Battle of Westport on October 23, 1864. The Civil War battle included 29,000 people from the area. The property at that time was owned by William Bent, a man who led wagon trains and traded with the Indians.
In 1927, the property was given to the city by then owner, Ella Loose, who commemorated it to her husband Jacob Loose, founder of the Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company, which produced Sunshine Biscuits and other products.
The Centerpiece of the park is Kansas City's municipal rose garden, began in 1931. What started as 120 rose plants now inlucdes 150 varieties of roses among the 4,000 plants in the 1 1/2 acre garden.
Fun Activities at Loose Park
- Play on the large playground which includes swings, slides, climbing, and sand play.
- Walk the trails.
- Take photos in the Rose Garden
- Walk and enjoy the beautiful pond and fountains.
- Visit the Japanese Garden and Tea Room.
- Take a photo near the Battle of Westport Memorial Cannon. See map for details.
- Play in the Spray Park (bring swimming suits and towels) - the Spray Park is a FREE water playground with squirting water features to cool off on a hot day. Spray Park hours are 11am-7pm Every day except Wednesday. Closed Wednesday. The Spray Park is surrounded by fence and a staff member is on duty, making it one of the safest spray park areas in town.
- Picnic tables and shelters are located throughout or you may bring a blanket for a picnic in the grass.
- A Camera! This is one of the most scenic parks in Kansas City!
- Towels and clothes to play in the spray park if that is on your itinerary.
- Food / Snacks / Picnic
- Sun Screen.
- And take time to smell the roses!