Summer Adventure: Water Sports
This summer, take on a water adventure! Our local lakes are the place for water sports. Plunge to new depths, travel across the water at incredible speeds, learn new stunts and tricks and enjoy the wind through your hair as your family creates some wild and unforgettable memories.
Skiing & Other Water Sports
Have you always wanted to ski but you don’t know how? Or, you’ve wanted to learn more challenging techniques? KC Watersports (25825 Edgemore Rd., Paola, KS, 913.783.4300) is one of the newest businesses in the Metro, now offering the best wakeboarding destination in the Midwest. Their 7.5-acre cable lake is home to a five-tower Rixen Cable, an overhead cable system with the ability to carry six riders at the same time. The lake boasts the most challenging set of rails, ramps and sliders in the United States. They offer classes, programs and camps covering skiing, wakeboarding, waterskating, kneeboarding and standing paddleboard for all skill levels from novice to experienced. KCW offers something for every ability level!
Have you ever dreamed of setting sail on the high seas? We may not have high seas in Kansas City, but we do have big lakes! Learn to sail at Lake Jacomo in Missouri with the Jacomo Sailing Club (816.678.7761) or on Lake Perry in Kansas with Clifton's Columbus School of Sail (913.220.5177). Lessons are offered for beginning sailors and can quickly become a family sport. Or, become a spectator of the sport and watch sailboat races every Sunday afternoon at 1:30 from May to October on Lake Jacomo, where boats sail from both Sailboat Cove on the east side and the marina on the west side.
We may live more than 1,000 miles from the nearest ocean, but scuba diving adventures are much closer than you may think. Adventure Sports (913.962-2323), KC Dive Shop (913.677.3483), Midwest Aquatics (913.402.0403) and the Frogman Dive Center (816.200.2881) offer scuba diving sessions and lessons for youngsters. They also offer excursions, including adventures at the Bonne Terre Mines and Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas lakes. For the truly adventurous, you can even embark on a Caribbean trip!
If you crave some sand between your toes, you can challenge your friends to some beach volleyball at Volleyball Beach (13105 Holmes Rd., Kansas City, MO, 816.942.2820), Shawnee Mission Volleyball Beach (19800 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS, 913.422.4070) or Centerline Beach Volleyball (1910 U.S. 40, Blue Springs, MO, 816.224.4455).
Swim Beaches at the Lakes:
For land-locked Midwesterners craving a little sand and sun, we can’t offer an ocean view, but we do feature several sandy swim beaches for sunny, affordable family fun! Tip: Visit beach websites for hours and admission rates.
- Blue Springs Lake (Jackson County, MO, 816.503.4870, www.JacksonGov.org, keyword: beaches)
- Longview Lake (Jackson County, MO, 816.503.4870, www.JacksonGov.org, keyword: beaches)
- Shawnee Mission Park Beach (Johnson County, KS, 913.312.8847, www.JCPRD.com/Parks_Facilities/Shawnee_Mission.cfm)
- Kill Creek Park Beach (Johnson County, KS, 913.312.8847, www.JCPRD.com/Parks_Facilities/Kill_Creek.cfm)
- Smithville Lake Beach (Clay County, MO, 816.407.3400, www.SmithvilleMO.org)
- Watkins Woolen Mill State Park Lake (Clay County, MO, 816.580.3387, www.MOStateParks.com)
Boat Rental at the Lakes:
- Jackson County, MO, offers boat rental at Blue Springs Lake, Longview Lake and Lake Jacomo (816.503.4870, www.JacksonGov.org, keyword: boating). All three lakes offer pontoon, bass boat and fishing boat rental. Lake Jacomo also features pedal boat and canoe rental.
- Johnson County, KS, offers boat rental at Shawnee Mission Park and Kill Creek Park (913.312.8847, www.JCPRD.com). Boat rentals include pedal boats, canoes and fishing boats.
- Clay County, MO, offers rental of pontoons and fishing boats at Smithville Lake (816.407.3420, www.SmithvilleMO.org).
- Wyandotte County, KS, offers fishing boat rental at Wyandotte County Lake (913.299.8488, www.WyCoKCK.org).
Great Fishing Spots in Missouri and Kansas:
- Kill Creek Park (Olathe, KS)
- Shawnee Mission Park (Lenexa, KS)
- Antioch Park (Olathe, KS)
- Heritage Park (Olathe, KS)
- Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead (Overland Park, KS)
- Englewood Lake (Kansas City North, MO)
- Lake of the Woods in Swope Park (Kansas City, MO)
- Blue Springs Lake (Lee's Summit, MO)
- Lake Jacomo (Blue Springs, MO)
- Longview Lake (Kansas City, MO