Head to Weston, MO, for skiing and snowboarding at Snow Creek Ski Resort (816.640.2200). The facility offers snow skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing and lessons for beginners. The most daring experience at Snow Creek is tubing at Tornado Alley. Slide down a 700-foot-long slope and then jump onto a special conveyor carpet "twister" for a ride back up!
If you’re more into spectator sports, catch an ice hockey game in Independence as you cheer for the Kansas City Mavericks (19100 E. Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO, 816.252.7825).
Top off the winter family fun with a spin on the ice at one of these indoor or outdoor ice skating rinks:
WinterFest at Worlds of Fun
Nov. 23-Dec. 30 at Worlds of Fun. Holiday cheer rings out at Worlds of Fun during the annual WinterFest celebration. Thousands of sparkling lights transform the park with an inviting glow that warms the heart and lifts the spirit. Witness live shows, meet iconic holiday characters and experience winter activities like ice skating and cookie decorating. And, of course, Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the entire Peanuts Gang will be there to celebrate with live shows and photos with your favorite characters.
Kansas City's Indoor Ice Skating Rinks Open Year-round:
- Centerpoint Medical Center Community Ice Rink 19100 E. Valley View Pkwy., Independence, MO, 816.795.7577, CenterpointCommunityIce.com
- Kansas City Ice Center and Pavilion 19900 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS, 913.441.3033, KCIceCenter.com
- Line Creek Community Center Ice Rink 5940 NW Waukomis Dr., Kansas City, MO, 816.513.0760, KCParks.org/places/line-creek
Kansas City's Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks:
The season for the outdoor rinks is typically November through February or March. Please call for hours for each location.
- Crown Center Ice Terrace 2425 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO, 816.274.8411, CrownCenter.com. The city’s original outdoor rink opens on Nov. 2 when you may enjoy free early morning skating, coffee and hot chocolate from 6:00 to 9:00 am. Beginning at 10:00 am, regular admission of $7 and $3 skate rental apply. On Tuesdays after 5:00, pay one full-price admission and receive a second for FREE.
- Summit Ice 120 NE Chipman Rd., Lee’s Summit MO, 816.249.2600, KCIce.net. Enjoy skating, pond hockey, curling, broom ball and ice skating lessons at this facility.
- The Ice at Park Place 11565 Ash St., Leawood, KS, 913.663.2070, ParkPlaceLeawood.com. Throughout the season enjoy special events like Skating with Santa, Princess Skate and Valentine's Day Skate.
- Linden Square Ice Rink 602 NE 70th St., Gladstone, MO, 816.423.4200, LindenSquare.info/ice-rink. Children 4 and under skate free at this affordable local rink.
- Ice Rink at Bois D'Arc Park in Lenexa West 88th Terrace, Lenexa, KS. This rink is only open when temps are cold enough for the ice to be solid. The rink is open during daytime hours and is free to use, but you must bring your own skates. Lenexa.com