10 Favorite Stroller-Worthy Outings in Kansas City
You spent a mint on that new stroller—now it’s time to enjoy it. Cabin fever can happen to moms too, so take that stroller out for a spin beyond the neighborhood playground. Check out these local attractions that are accessible and child-friendly, but also engaging for parents. Mom or Dad and Baby will enjoy an outing together—and maybe capture a few Insta-worthy photos along the way.
Five Outdoor Favorites
All of these beautiful attractions offer stroller-friendly smooth pathways, beautiful backdrops for photos and natural environments to enjoy.
- Kansas City Zoo The zoo is open year-round and is especially enjoyable midweek in the fall when crowds are smaller and weather is pleasant. Many of the exhibits are delightful for little ones at stroller height. The penguins are playful, the stingrays are swimming, the monkeys are swinging and the kangaroos are hopping. The paved trails at the zoo are easily accessible, and an upgraded FOTZ membership even includes free rides aboard the train and tram. We like to explore a different section of the zoo on each visit to keep it interesting and manage energy.
- Powell Gardens The 970-acre botanical garden with seven themed gardens is nearly impossible to see in just one visit, but it is always beautiful. Visitors especially enjoy the paved trails through the Heartland Harvest Garden where everything is edible, the Woodland & Stream Garden where the fall foliage is especially brilliant and the Island Garden where you’ll find a peaceful place to rest and take photos. The outdoor setting is ideal for great mommy-and-me photos, and the scenery is a haven for nature lovers. Don’t-Miss Event: Glow: Jack-O’-Lantern Festival, Oct. 19-20. Walk a nearly mile-long pathway adorned with light displays, jack-o’-lanterns and fantastic pumpkin sculptures.
- Overland Park Arboretum The 300-acre gardens offer a beautiful outdoor oasis. The Children’s Garden whimsical with trains, beckoning wooded paths and the beloved Monet Garden are all especially vibrant as the autumn colors change. You’ll find many beautiful places to take a photograph at this relaxing and beautiful outdoor attraction. Don’t-Miss Event: The gardens are always affordable, but admission is free on Tuesdays.
- Loose Park at 51st & Wornall is one of Kansas City’s most beautiful parks. The 75-acre park is famous for its summer rose garden, but the fall is beautiful too. With tree-lined walkways around the pond and beautiful bridges to venture across, the park offers a scenic place to enjoy and explore the outdoors.
- Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead The farmstead is the most lively attraction to make our fall fave list and is a consistent favorite for generations of KC kids. If you are entertaining a group of young children, this is an ideal outdoor attraction. Visit more than 250 animals and birds, including goats, chickens, cows and horses.
Five Indoor Favorites
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art This world-class museum offers free admission (and affordable parking) and it’s the perfect place for Mom to enjoy beautiful art while knowing that her little one is welcome. The museum is accessible and friendly to guests of all ages. Don’t-Miss Event: On the third Friday of each month, the museum hosts Junior Jaunts. Bring your baby in a stroller or front carrier for an adult-focused, yet infant friendly, mini museum tour. Enjoy discussion of a few favorite art galleries.
- Union Station and Crown Center are connected via the Link (an enclosed walkway), allowing visitors easy access to enjoy both attractions in their holiday splendor from mid-November through December. The Crown Center Santa and the gingerbread village are perfect for holiday photos. With giant Christmas trees, holiday lights and decorations, both attractions are especially beautiful during the holiday season. Enjoy shopping at Crown Center, then visit the model train exhibit at Union Station where the trains are at stroller eye level for young children. Both attractions host a variety of holiday events from shows to concerts throughout the season—all on KCParent.com.
- Oak Park Mall, Legends Outlets and Summit Fair are three favorite shopping districts. At Oak Park Mall, enjoy a ride on the carousel. At Legends Outlet, capture a photo as you walk the yellow brick road. At Summit Fair, enjoy a variety of retail shops and restaurants. All three will offer photos with Santa throughout the holiday season and a variety of shopping specials.
- The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures From the first impression, visitors enter a charming world of toys with interactive exhibits taking them on a stroll down memory lane. They encounter treasures from Grandma’s attic, a vast collection of dollhouses, miniatures and toys of yesteryear. Toys enjoyed by generations are waiting to be discovered. Many of the exhibits are at stroller eye level so young ones can see the dollhouses and toys. All of the exhibits are protected in cases, so parents don’t have to worry, and in a museum that specializes in telling the story of childhood, children are very welcome.
- Your local pet store. My firstborn LOVED visiting the local pet store as a toddler. We watched tropical fish, exotic birds, even gerbils running in cages. Best of all, the pet store is next to our grocery store, so we were able to use it as a reward for good behavior in the food aisles.
Even though her girls are no longer in strollers, Kansas City Mom Kristina Light loves taking them on fall outings in her hometown.