Holiday Classes: Arts, Crafts, Cooking, and More!
Have you ever wanted to learn how to make a gingerbread house from scratch? Paint the perfect Santa? Make gifts for loved ones? Or make beautiful holiday centerpieces or wreaths? These classes are perfect to get your holiday DIY game on!
KC Pinterest Parties offers special classes all season long to make your dream Pinterest projects a reality! You may attend one of their public programs or organize a group for your own custom party or class!
The Thirsty Palette (11958 Roe Ave, Overland Park, KS) is Johnson County's painting party hotspot, allowing people with no painting experience to create their very own “intoxicating art!” Thirsty Palette offers both public sessions and private parties no min number required.
Paint Glaze & Fire (12683 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS) is a paint-your-own-pottery shop with special events throughout the holiday season including Paint Me a Story, Family Nights, and specials. Paint ornaments, mugs, and gifts for your friends and family. They also offer a variety of ornament kits for parties at your home, office or school. And, studio Fees are always ½ price Tuesday – Thursday and Friday when kids are out of school.
2018 Special Holiday Events at Paint Glaze & Fire include:
- Holiday Open House, Saturday, November 17, 9 AM – 6 PM. Santa will be making a special appearance and available for photos and making hand print plates.
- Holiday Clay Hand Prints special on November 21 and November 23
- Coil Christmas Tree, Nov. 20 from 4:15-6:15pm, Nov. 21 from 10:30-12:15 for Ages 10 & up. $25/ea. Class Fee includes: Hot cocoa and a sugar cookie, 2 full size coil trees, one small ruffle tree
- Canvas Christmas Tree Class, Dec. 2 from 2-5pm for ages 18+. $32/ea, $27/when registering online with a friend. Join us Sunday after for this holiday canvas project, with step-by-step instructions. Enjoy complimentary light appetizers & 50% off drinks – a great time to try a peppermint mocha! SAVE $5.00 EACH when you register with a friend. Space limited. Call to reserve your spot at 913.661.2529.
Paint Me a Story at Paint Glaze & Fire. Every other Friday (10:30 AM - 11:30 AM) and a few Tuesday Evenings (6 PM - 7 PM) paint a special pottery project that goes along with a favorite children's book. $15.00 includes ceramic piece & snack, $13.00 for additional siblings. Ages 2 - 6. Space limited. Holiday themed storytimes for 2018:
- November 23, Sneezy the Snowman, B-R-R-R-R! AH-CHOO! Sneezy the Snowman is cold, cold, cold. To warm up, he drinks cocoa, sits in a hot tub, stands near a warm fire–and melts! But the children know just what to do to build him up again–and make him feel "just right". Project: Snowman Figurine or Foot Print Snowmen on Salad or Dinner Plate*
- December 4, Pete the Cat Saves Christmas, In this rockin' spin on the traditional tale The Night Before Christmas, Pete the Cat proves that giving your all in the spirit of Christmas is the totally groovy thing to do. Project: Moose*
- December 7, Same As Tuesday, December 4th.
Ceramic Cafe (9510 Nall Ave, Overland Park, KS). Clay building, ceramic painting, and glass fusing are all offered at Ceramic Cafe. Enjoy Creative Storytime for little ones, special classes or their walk-in programs to make gifts and holiday decorations.
Creative Story Time at Ceramic Cafe on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10:30am. $12/ea with Tax. Enjoy a story, paint something to go along with the story, then have a snack! Holiday Themed storytimes for 2018:
- 11/27 & 11/30 “Olive the Other Reindeer” by Vivian Walsh and J. Otto Seibold Reindeer Ornament or Plate
- 12/04 & 12/07 “Alfie the Christmas Tree” by John Denver Christmas Tree Plate
- 12/11 & 12/14 “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” by Iza Trapani Star Ornament
- 12/18 & 12/21 “The Gingerbread Man” illustrated by Karen Schmidt Bite Me Ornament
- 12/28 “Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups” by Tadgh Bentley Penguin Figurine
Clay Spiral Trees Kids Night Out Nov. 9 at Ceramic Cafe. $32.50/ea. Make Clay Spiral Christmas Trees or Unicorn Horns, hang out and enjoy pizza and soda pop. Call 913.383.0222 to register.
Clay Tree Class at Ceramic Cafe Nov. 16 at 6pm at Ceramic Cafe. These trees are great because they are so fun to make and so easy! You can even turn it into a votive! Ceramic Cafe will share our tips and tricks with a step-by-step class. Call 913.383.0222 to sign up. Class fee: $24
Breakfast with Santa at Ceramic Cafe Dec. 2 (3 sessions available: 9:00am 9:45am 10:00am) at Ceramic Cafe. Enjoy breakfast and a morning of pottery painting with him! You'll get a photo opportunity and a chance to just hang out with ole' Kris Kringle! Make a Santa ornament with your child's hand (snowman footprint for infants), a special ornament to paint, a photo station with Santa, and a continental breakfast that will be refreshed at the beginning of each session! The price for this event is $35 for one child and $15 for each additional child. Must call ahead to sign-up and reserve your space at the time slot of your choice. Price includes clay hand/footprint ornament, ornament painting, breakfast, and a chance to chat with Santa! Signups will begin November 1st! Call 913.383.0222 to sign up.
Nov. 16 – 18, Family Tree Nursery Locations across the Metro. Create a fabulous holiday container starting at $39.99. Every November we transform our garden centers into magical winter wonderlands lined with forests of decorated trees. lights, decorations, and holiday gifts.
Year-round, Kaleidoscope 2500 Grand, Kansas City, MO. Hallmark's Kaleidoscope is a FREE hands-on art center for children that family's may enjoy year-round, but it is especially magical at Christmastime. They offer free walk-in sessions throughout the day. You'll want to check their calendar for times. Tip: Plan on attending the earliest session possible for the smallest crowds. Children love Kaleidoscope where creativity and imagination play in Kaleidoscope's magical hands-on world where children create masterpieces with super cool, super fun supplies, in a super amazing atmosphere all thanks to Hallmark. This is truly one of Kansas City's BEST family-friendly attractions!
The Nelson-Atkins is hosting several hands-on art classes this holiday season for all ages, from young children to adults. Learn to make holiday gifts for your friends and loved ones. Register online.
Nov. 10 from 9:30am-Noon, Johnson County K-State Extension, 11811 S. Sunset Drive, Olathe, KS. $15/ea ages 7-12. This class will cover delicious recipes, food safety, basic cooking skills and nutrition.
Various dates and times at Mid-Continent Public Libraries. Join an award-winning culinary team to learn how to make mouth-watering, made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls. Registration Required.
- Nov. 3 from 3-4pm at Camden Point Branch
- Nov. 6 from 7-8pm at Raytown Branch
- Nov. 17 from 3-4pm at North Independence
- Dec. 3 from 7-8pm at Liberty Branch
- Dec. 11 from 11am-Noon at Grain Valley Branch
- Dec. 13 from 7-8pm at Smithville Branch
- Dec. 15 from 2-3pm at Lee's Summit Branch
- Jan. 10 from 7-8pm at Blue Springs South Branch
- Jan. 12 from 2-3pm at Blue Springs South Branch
Various dates and times at Mid-Continent Public Libraries. Get a head start on gifts for Christmas by turning leftover fabric into easy-to-sew, festive holiday table decorations. There is a $10 hands-on materials fee, or you can find the supply list online. Registration Required.
- Nov. 14 from 4:30-5:30pm at Grandview Branch
- Dec. 4 from 6:30-7:30pm at Blues Springs South Branch
- Dec. 11 from 6:30-7:30pm at Grain Valley Branch
- Dec. 13 from 6:30-7:30pm at Blues Springs North Branch
FREE Various dates and times at Mid-Continent Public Libraries. Design and create your own wrapping paper using traditional linoleum block printing techniques. Registration Required.
- Nov. 1 from 6:30-8:30pm at Liberty Branch
- Nov. 3 from 2-4pm at Riverside Branch
- Nov. 28 from 6:30-8:30pm at Lee's Summit Branch
Nov. 23 from 10am-4pm at the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures (5235 Oak St., Kansas City, MO). Gather your family and friends for a post-Turkey Day visit to T/m. Enjoy reminiscing about childhood toys you once found under the Christmas tree and be mesmerized by the incredible detail in fine-scale miniature works of art. Then, create your tiny tinsel Christmas tree—complete with a miniature ornaments—in a family-friendly craft workshop.
Various dates and times at Annedore's Fine Chocolates 5000 State Line Rd, Westwood Hills, KS. Bring the kids and watch them build their very own winter wonderland. Also, this year they're offering adult only gingerbread workshops for big kids who like to decorate gingerbread houses! They’ll provide pre-made gingerbread, icing and Iots and lots of candy. They’ll be serving hot chocolate in a fun, festive atmosphere. Workshop Fee: $50.00 per house. Register in advance online.
2018 Class Schedule:
- *Friday, December 7 – 7:00pm (*Over 18)
- Saturday, December 8 – 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:00pm
- Sunday, December 9 – 1:00pm, 4:00pm
- *Friday, December 14 – 7:00pm (*Over 18)
- Saturday, December 15 – 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:00pm
- Sunday, December 16 – 1:00pm, 4:00pm
Various dates and times at Mid-Continent Public Libraries. Join Tina Gatewood for this two week class as she shows us how to make this adorable snowman out of beads. There is a one-time hands-on materials fee $12. Registration Required.
- Dec. 1 & 8 from 6:30-8pm at Claycomo Branch
- Dec. 3 & 10 from 6:30-8pm at Oak Grove Branch
- Dec. 4 & 11 from 6:30-8pm at Kearney Branch
- Jan. 22 & 29 from 6:30-8pm at North Oak Branch
FREE Various dates and times at Mid-Continent Public Libraries. If you think the Christmas season doesn’t last nearly long enough, you might consider celebrating in Latin America where the holiday doesn’t stop. Registration Required.
- Dec. 1 from 2:30-4pm at Parkville Branch
- Dec. 8 from 3-4:30pm at North Independence Branch
Dec. 2, Weston Orchard & Vineyard 18545 Co Rd H, Weston, MO. Make your own live cedar wreath to display this holiday on your front door. All supplies (frames, cedar, wire, pinecones, and ribbon for handmade bows) and instruction will be provided. Cost is $20 and reservations are required. You will receive a $5 program discount for a $20 Orchard purchase made during the event. To register, sign up at the orchard or call Kelly at 253-549-8629.
FREE Various dates and times at Mid-Continent Public Libraries. Learn this 4th Century paper art and give it a Christmas twist. You will be amazed at what you can create with this form of art that combines the folding of origami with papercutting techniques. Registration Required.
- Dec. 6 from 4:30-5:30pm at Parkville Branch
- Dec. 12 from 2-3pm at Boardwalk Branch
- Dec. 18 from 5:30-6:30pm at Grandview Branch
FREE Nov. 24 from 9am-Noon, Home Depot Locations Across the Metro. Run, run, run as fast as you can to this hands-on holiday workshop where you and your child can assemble a gingerbread picture frame that doubles as a Christmas ornament. Perfect for gifting or adding to the family’s heirloom holiday decor. Once the picture frame is built, your child can decorate it with paint and holiday stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron, and pin.
FREE at Johnson County Libraries Each participant will build a simple gingerbread house where they can hang out with their gingerbread friend. For children with a caregiver. Space is limited; register online or call 913.826.4600.
- Dec. 1 from 10am-Noon, Shawnee Library, 13811 Johnson Dr, Shawnee, KS
- Dec. 1 from 10am-Noon, Antioch Library, 8700 Shawnee Mission Pkwy, Merriam, KS.
- Dec. 8 from 9:30am-Noon, Monticello Library, 22435 W. 66th St, Shawnee, KS.
FREE Dec. 1 from 10–11:30 AM or 1–2:30 PM at Burr Oak Woods Nature Center (1401 NW Park Rd., Blue Springs, MO). Registration required on-line beginning November 1 (adults) Celebrate the season by crafting a natural wreath! Evergreens, pine cones and many other natural trimmings will be provided. Please bring a small wire or grape vine wreath as a base for your creation and any additional special decorations you wish to include.
FREE Dec. 1 from 10am-1pm, Anita Gorman Discovery Center (4750 Troost Ave, Kansas City, MO). Walk-in (all ages) Members from the Kansas City Fiber Group will be hosting hands-on fiber activities and demonstrations of different fiber techniques. Diverse techniques such as felting, crochet, weaving, hand stitching, collage, surface design and encaustic to create works reflecting on the environment will be demonstrated. You will also have an opportunity to meet the artists and discover the beauty of this unique exhibit.
Dec. 5 from 6:30-8pm, Vesper Hall, 400 NW Vesper Street, Blue Springs, MO. $20 PER WREATH. It’s time to decorate! We’ll provide the Grapevine wreath base, natural cedar, Juniper and craft embellishments. All you have to do is provide the creativity.
Dec. 8 from 10am-Noon, Martha Lafite Thompson Nature Sanctuary, 407 N. La Frenz Rd, Liberty, MO. $20/wreath Members: $12/wreath. There’s nothing like the smell of a natural winter wreath! Bring your favorite decorations or use some of ours to create the perfect holiday wreath. We will supply the wreath frame, cedar boughs, ribbons and natural decorations like holly, pine cones and acorns. Please call to register 816.781.8598.
Dec. 9 at Gilded Lily 612 E 135th St, Kansas City, MO. As a purveyor of so many incredible lines of tea, Gilded Lily is happy to host afternoon tea parties throughout the year. To join us, each party attendee must pay a small fee of $35. This fee covers your tea paired with sweets and savories and the additional option of champagne and sherry. During each party, we discuss the tea we are drinking, tea etiquette and customs, and the history of tea. Each attendee will also receive a special gift bag for joining us! Tickets can be purchased through our website.
FREE with donation Dec. 9 from 10am-1pm at Code Ninjas 3622 W 135th St., Leawood, KS. Celebrate Computer Science Education Week and the holidays with Code Ninjas! Join our Holiday Hack-A-Thon, where kids will hone their game building, coding, and teamwork skills using Scratch.® You could win amazing prizes both locally and nationally! Compete with other coders in a race to create the coolest game! Holiday Hack-A-Thon is a public event held at Code Ninjas Centers nationwide. Each team will consist of two coders. Participants will have 1.5 hours to create a new game with presentation and prizes to follow. You are not required to be a student at Code Ninjas to participate. Children must be ages 7-14 and have some experience with Scratch to participate. All games will be built in Scratch. First place winner from each center will be reviewed by Code Ninjas Headquarters. The TOP three games will win amazing prizes! The Grand Prize is a PREMIUM GAMING LAPTOP! COST PER CODER: Participation is free with wrapped technology toy for local charity. Because of limited spacing, you will need prior registration for this event.
Dec. 12 from 10-11am, Martha Lafite Thompson Nature Sanctuary, 407 N. La Frenz Rd, Liberty, MO. What is a partridge and why is it in a pear tree? Do all reindeer have antlers? Join us as we learn about some of the animals found in the songs and stories of Christmastime. Limit 15 children. Please call to register 816.781.8598. Family Fee: $5/child or $10/family Members: $3/child or $5/family
FREE Dec. 15 at Anita Gorman Discovery Center (4750 Troost, Kansas City, MO). Thinking of making the holidays a little greener this season? Then join us for one of the Discovery Center's holiday traditions. Learn to decorate using all native plants and trees. Fashion a festive holiday swag to hang using red cedar, prairie grasses, wild nuts, berries, seeds and your imagination.